Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 05:29

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Protein Power Pals: Saturday, March 20

Am I the first?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 05:48

BF:

Looks that way!

So what's everyone's plans for the weekend? I'm off for a little retail therapy this morning in North Conway (an outlet center). I just want to get out of the house, you know? Remember that old Gilbert O'Sullivan song, "Alone Again, Naturally"? There's a line in it that says "I promised myself I'd treat myself and visit a nearby town." I've always kinda liked that line.

Songberrie, I think it's great that you've lost so much. It really must give you a huge boost! What has your husband had to say about it? Tell us how you've been slipping LC things in. It might give us some ideas, too! Have you been using Fitday or anything to record your menus? You need to change your signature weights, though, to show your amazing progress!

Let's all send positive thoughts Renee's way. She's starting off on a 20-mile hike today. What with all the mishaps and injuries she's had lately, I just hope she makes it through this unscathed!

Lissette, with all the running around you're doing with those cows, we're going to have to send Dawn over there to give you a good long massage!

Elaine, good luck on the surgery later this week. I'll be in a class both Thursday and Friday, but I'll try to check in in the evening. Did you say you were going to have someone post for you so we know how you're doing? Sheesh, but we're a bunch of mother hens around here!

Unity, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Mine's next Saturday, and I know exactly what I want all of you to get me. I want one visit from the Whoosh Fairy from each of you. Giving up one little visit won't hurt you that much, and WOW it will sure help me out! So think about it, huh?

Dawn, I love those Klondike bars. I bought them once, but maybe liked them a little too much so I never bought them again. I think Dove also makes a LC bar. Bought that once, too, and it tasted as good or better than the "real" ones. Snacks like that don't mean much to me, so I tend to not keep them in the house.

Also, Dawn, I see you've added to your signature line your success in lowering your insulin. You're down to 1 injection a day, but what did you start with? That would really give people a good idea of how much this WOL has helped you.

Have a great day, everyone! Gotta jump in the shower and get a move on. Then it's snot for breakfast and I'm off!

Oh, almost forgot. Someone mentioned having snot for breakfast the other day but that it didn't stick with them for long at all. That's how it was for me at first, too. But now it stays with me for hours and hours. Yesterday, I had some before work at 5:30. I wasn't hungry for lunch until almost 1:00! I had a huge coffee from Dunkin' Donuts with cream in between, but still that's pretty amazing that it stuck with me for so long.

(Isn't it weird it is that we can all talk nonchalantly about having snot for breakfast as if it were the most natural thing in the world?)
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 06:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Good morning to Bawdy and everyone else! Some retail therapy sounds just like what I could use as well It's only in the last year or so that I've really taken an interest in shopping, and now I am hooked. It is amazingly therapeutic, and there's nothing quite like finding some really great clothes! Although, today, my shopping must remain more practical, at least at first. My microwave is scaring the bejebers out of me, making all these crackling sounds and shooting rays of light from one side to the other. Since I have a tendency toward starting fires, I don't think I should take any chances.

Since writing all that wonderful stuff about how in control I am eating CAD, of course that very night I pushed myself too far. Part of the daily reward meal is to eat a BALANCE of foods and only to eat until content. That night I was dealing with a lot of stress (my friend with melanoma had to go back for another round of surgery, being observed by the principal at school again), and I topped off my dinner with an entire pint of regular ice cream. I wasn't even hungry! I probably ate around 2000 calories and 200g carbs for that meal alone, which is certainly not balanced nor in moderation. So, the pound that I had lost was back, plus another with it. Lesson learned--do not keep ice cream in the house. I've not had anything sweet since then, b/c it kinda grossed me out, and I am completely back on track again. It was definitely an eye-opening experience. At first I was ashamed that it happened, and wanted to keep it a secret, especially after all the wonderful things I had shared with all of you about CAD. But then I realized that this was just a wake-up call so that I do not get a big head. I was starting to think that I could eat anything for dinner, and now I see that that is not true. Not only can I not go hog wild at dinner, but I don't even want to anymore, b/c that was just too many carbs. I seem to feel much better when I keep my calories under 900 and carbs under 90 at my reward meal. Double each of those, and obviously I am going to feel like he**.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 06:15

Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%

Bawdy-I think I also wanted to post my little mess up so that I didn't give you the wrong impression about CAD. It isn't a magic pill. But I definitely think that you'd be interested by reading the book and taking the test. It requires discipline like any other plan; it just seems like I can be a little more free one time each day than I had been in the past. But I am also learning what I can and cannot handle, and even though you guys aren't on the same plan as me, I hope you will allow me to think out some of the things I've learned along the way
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 06:24

Plan: my own lc
Stats: 211/155/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Good morning Up before anyone in the house this morn in order to have some alone time. Went to neighbors last night to help them paint kitchen and only had 1/2 glass of wine! But-DH had a mixed drink and found out after that the neighbor thought it would be "funny" to make it with a regular soda. He had only drank half of it when he found out-he was not happy. Came home early with a stomach ache and gas. He has done so well on this WOE and to have someone sabotage him made him angry and sad at the same time.

My boss took the office to lunch yesterday and after lunch handed us all the after dinner mints. I was surprised as he has been lc'ing since last Aug and lost 30 lbs. But I noticed that he ate clam chowder-with potatoes, and croutons on his salad. I didnt say anything but when he handed me my mint, I just laughed and handed it back to him saying I had the "real" stuff in my purse and pulled out a sugar free mint. The other office lady just said dont tempt her, she is doing well and we are all proud of her. Made me feel good

Hope you are all doing well, I can never remember to list everyone's names but I think about you all. In fact, I told my DH that I feel like I have a whole bunch of new friends.

Have a great Saturday
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 07:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyOH
. . . and even though you guys aren't on the same plan as me, I hope you will allow me to think out some of the things I've learned along the way

Wendy, shame on you to think we would judge you or not want you around. The glory of this group is that we don't care what plan you're on. We care about YOU and how YOU are doing. Of course, I might think differently if you were on the Cabbage Soup diet, but as long as you're taking care of yourself and on a sound plan, you're A-OK in our book!

Enomarb PM'd me this morning to say she's about my height, weight, and age and has done marvelously well on the CAD program. I'll get the book and check it out. And don't feel bad about the dinner that night. Part of starting a new plan is figuring out where you fit. By pushing the limits, you found your limits. I think it was an excellent lesson learned.

Ummm, I'd replace that microwave pronto! I just ruined the glass top on my ceramic cooktop the other day. I made my usual snot for breakfast, and then put the kettle back on the stove. It was nearly empty, but I was sure I had turned off the burner. Nope. Now I have a lovely crater about the size of a dime on one burner. I called the manufacturer, and they said it was "probably" safe as long as the crack didn't go completely through the glass. Now how am I supposed to know that! She looked up the part number, and it will cost $285 plus labor to fix it. I wonder what they cost new.

By the way, I think it was Dawn who asked about my chairs recently. Service Master wrote us a check for $2,213 to replace the chairs (based on new chairs in the store that were virtually identical to the ones they ruined). I was able to find the same chairs in another store at 40% off, so ended up ordering new ones for a total of $1,500. So, that's $700 for pain and suffering!

Eight, what a stupid lousy friend to sub full-sugar soda on your husband. That's like thinking it's funny to give a former alcoholic a bundt cake soaked in rum! "Oh, a little bit won't hurt." This is exactly why I tell people that I have trouble digesting wheat and sugar. It's just easier to defend. If it's a medical condition, people take it more seriously.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 09:05

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi gang (and that includes you, Wendy!!)

Bawdy, enjoy your retail therapy

Just finished a marathon grocery shop and now I have to cook and freeze some meals-deep dish pizza quiche, some stir fry, some chicken breasts with cheese,etc. There is a good recipe site I found on the Darkside:
http://users3.ev1.net/~fontlady/index.html "Linda's recipes".
Just another one to add to our collection

I will try to get someone to post after my surgery but you may not hear anything until Sat or Sun. Hey, you Mother Hens are OK
For Orang, the third hike is the charm hopefully.

Now I get to clean house too. Oh Goody.

Later, guys.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 10:30

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Good morning friends

Wendy - Don't feel ashamed, I think we have all been there. I felt the same way about my trip to Las Vegas. Left saying how I wan't going to eat off plan and how in control I was and I blew it the first day. The day after I got back I went right back to induction to clean out my system and that is that. I did some reading on CAD and read some posts and for me, the CMs are just too restrictive. I have given up so much already that I just don't want to give up my diet sodas, coffee, SF gum, etc. But I am also not unhappy with the way I am eating so I don't feel the need for change. I think you will successful with whatever you choose I am in awe of the progress you have made already.

Bawdy - Have fun shopping! I need to do some later myself but first things first, I have a tanning appointment and then a hair appointment

Unity - Happy Birthday

Dawn - Are those the ice cream sandwiches? I bought some too and they are pretty tasty! I also try to have them for an accasional treat or I will end up eating one every night before bed.

Elaine - My prayers are coming your way. You are going to have someone let us know how you are after surgery until you can post yourself?? Please do or we will all be very worried.

Orang - Hope you are enjoying your hike

Yesterday's menu:

B - 1 cinnamon rasin Atkins bagel w/cream cheese, 3 cups coffee w/H&H splenda
(what a treat this was! )

L - leftover baked chicken (boneless thighs coated in almond flour recipe) 5-6 oz, 3 TBS SF ketchup, 2 cups salad greens w/almond accents & ceasar parmasan dressing, 44 oz diet pepsi

S - handful pumpkin seeds

D - 2 eggs scrambled w/3 oz ham, onion, 1 oz cheddar cheese

Dessert - 4 strawberries sliced w. whipped cream

Yesterday was my day of rest I am off to get in some yoga and abs before my appointments.

Shelly, Michele, Kat, Blu, Song, and anyone else I may have missed
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 10:43
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Omega
Stats: 163/123/120 Female 5'4"
BF:no idea/too much

Good morning all. This is the first time I've posted on this thread. This is my story so far:

I started on Atkins last November. After 5 days I'd lost 5#. After 2 weeks I'd lost a total of 10# and there it stayed, give or take a pound or two, until I got thoroughly sick of it all. And, no, I hadn't lost any inches at all.

So the Tuesday before last I had volunteered to work the polls and when I arrived at 6 a.m. some kind soul had already delivered 2 boxes of donuts. The morning was very slow and I ate two donuts. Then another kind soul came in and took orders for lunch. I asked for a cheeseburger (intending to toss the bun) and no fries. I ate the bun and a box of left-over fries. In the afternoon the donuts still beckoned and I had too more. I had also locked myself out of my house so, waiting for help to arrive and anticipating the demolition of the lock and also the door/frame, I got myself a jug of wine. I ended up getting in without damage but, what the hell; I spent the next few days finishing the jug. While I was doing it I started reading Protein Power. I found the parts on nutrition and physiology very interesting but the suggested meals boring and, like the impossible calculations of body-fat the authors required, just too time-consuming even if I could understand them, which I couldn't.

I posted a query about that and Bawdywench told me to eat 4oz of protein. Thanks, Bawdywench! So for the last week I've been combining PP with Atkins (the Atkins part is the Philly cream cheese and Bakenets snacks) and now, to my amazement my, weight is down to 149! (Bear in mind that I didn't weigh myself during or after my wine and donut binge, so the loss could be greater than the 5 pounds it looks like on my record.

Pause for applause.

I'm now reading Sears' The Anti-Aging Zone which is, again, fascinating on the physiology but no way am I going to measure 26 different ingredients for each meal (don't people have better things to do?). It gives me hope that I can dodge the cardio-vascular deaths and Alzheimer's in my family.

But best of all I just tried on the jeans I first and last wore 9 years ago and I could not only get into them, I could fasten them. OK, they were too tight for comfort but (a) they were too tight for comfort the last time I wore them and (b) they had been washed since then and you know how that tightens jeans up.

Only one problem and one you may be able to help me with. I am drinking vast amounts of water (fine) but it goes straight through me. I can't go two hours without a bathroom and, worst of all, I can't sleep without getting up twice in the night and then I can't get back to sleep--or at least not back to real sleep. I know how important sleep is to fat burning, so does anybody here have this problem? Any solutions? (I can't drink less before bedtime because I actually feel dry and need the water.)
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/140/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Default Saturday

Happy Saturday Everyone!!!

Dawn: This wonderful weather just keeps on keepin' on doesn't it? Love It!!!

Elaine: Will be thinking about you with your upcoming surgery. Good Luck. While I'm thinking about it you mentioned seeing a new thyroid Dr. Did you find this Dr. on a thyroid site? I have been planning to ask my Dr. about changing meds since I have been bouncing around between synthroid dosages for a couple years now. What should I ask about, exactly? I know there are medications that target different things, but am a bit confused about them. Can you help?

Renee: Good weekend for hiking!

Ursula: WELCOME! Good folks here!

Ellie: Glad to have you back from Vegas

High to everyone else and have a great weekend!

Kat
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 11:56

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Thanks Ellie and Kat!!

Kat, the website for thyroid is:
http://thyroid.about.com/

Hi Ursula.Can't help you with the water thing much, I am used to going once during the early morning and then going back to bed.But maybe Bawdy will jump on with some ideas.

Elaine
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 15:19

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey , Happy Saturday!

My Dh is gone to a bull sell, I just checked our ,moma cows and nothing is calving right now,So I have some time to write to you all!!

Wendy, Gee NEVER feel like you can't write what all is going on, we ALL experience the ups and downs, I have been in such a blue mode lately and my weight is reflecting!! I am not sure what is going to work to get the scale moving, but I am incorporating the flax cereals back into it and keeping the calories down. When you write about the good things going on, we are cheering for you and it gives us inspiration to!! When you have a slip up or two, we feel for you BUT it helps us feel like we are not alone when WE do it also!! (Just my two cents!)

Bawdy, Let's celebrate our birthdays together with a weightloss! I am going to make it a goal to eat clean this week, and hopefully will not be to disapointed when next Sunday comes around! Do you have any plans for the big day? If the weather is not to bad we will prob. go out to our local place to eat, I want a pedometer for my BD! Oh enjoy your theraphy, (It is my source of entertainment to read on your good buys since we live so far away from such things and calving season makes it virtually impossible to get away from the Ranch!)

Elaine,Hope the house cleaning goes fast! I will have to check out the recipe from the darkside once I get done here! Thanks!! And don't over-do the cleaning, noone ever notices a dust bunny here or there!

Ellie, WTG on your consistant workouts! You are going to have to update us with more pictures!!!

Kat,Sounds like you are enjoying the nice weather! We have had nice temps, BUT THE WINDS!!! (And they call Chicago the windy city!)

Renee, Have a fun time hiking and do not over do it!!!

Happy Birthday to Unity!!

Welcome to our pp group Ursula!!

Eight, that was a rotten thing to do! People get funny sometimes when a friend or family member changes their lifestyle,it is sad that his friend is so insecure that he had to do that! Just tell your dh to eat clean today and it will pass!

A BIG HELLO to Dawn,Michele,Robin,Marnie,Paris,Blue,SongB, and to everyone else that visits here!

Last edited by Lissette : Sat, Mar-20-04 at 19:41.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 17:35

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%
Talking

LOL....... you all are a few days late... but it is my brothers birthday
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 21:12

Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

OK, I give, what's snot? I know it can't be what it sounds like!

Bawdy - Hmm how do I change my signature line? I couldn't figure it out. I don't eat any regular carbs, only the carbs I get in vege's or fruits. I only eat meat, almonds, vege's, fruit, and dairy. I haven't had any low carb breads or any other low carb Atkin's type product, except I have had Russel Stover low carb candy. I haven't craved any breads or sweets, and I was really addicted to them!

Thanks for the kind welcomes!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 21:25
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

Good idea Bawdy about putting the beginning of the dosage on my siggy.. so I did.. Hello to everyone..hope you all had a wonderful day.. Saturdays are my usual busy day, I dont get a chance to chat to much and my eyes are crossing!

Happy BELATED birthday to Unity!

Ursula... I so am right there with you.. I even try to stop drinking water at 8pm..but no fail, I get up 2-3x at night to go to the bathroom, just like I did when I had high out of control sugar levels.. To sleep more than 2 hours.. 3 hours.. 4.. 6 oooooohh... 8??? I would be in heaven!

I overdid it w/ low carb foods today.. I had a new l/c pumpernickle bagle this morning.. AND read after I ate the whole bagel, that a serving is 1 slice, not the whole bagel..LOL.. and then I had 2 l/c tortillas.. so I hit 46 net carbs.. I do believe that is my 'high' since starting this. I saved 2 out of the package, one for me and one for hubby, and cut the rest up and sipped them up and put them in the freezer. My last loaf of low carb bread got moldy.. I should have frozen it! Live and learn..like the syrup thing, I think Renee it was.. that it should have been refrigerated... just wish learning wasnt so costly sometimes..haahaa.

I bought some almond extract.. looking forward to using it on some different things.

Elaine.. praying you come thru w/ flying colors.. your intentions and focus will be a tremendous help for your recovery process!

Eight- i thought crap like that stopped in grade school?? grr.. funny..NOT.

Ice cream sandwiches and 'treats'.. that is what I am doing..the low calorie count on the klondike sammiches..well.. they do kinda 'tempt' a little louder to me.. I have always loved ice cream sammiches! They are one of my favorites.. dating back to when we lived on staten island and the ice cream truck would sing its song in front of our house... I bought some diet cherry coke tonite, and put it in my little freezer pop containers.. will see if I like them like that.

Wendy... we need you here.. I am glad you are back posting..so us newer folks can get to know you.... in regards to goofing up, etc.. hey.. if we all feel like we have to slink off and hide when our willpower, or focus, or whatever isnt where we would like it to be... how can we really be 'real' here with one another? Reminds me of a church I went to briefly..where everyone puts on their smile and their fake answer " Everything is great' ..and no one could really share their true issues w/ fear of being put down or looked at as a lesser 'christian'... game playing...ya know? I dont think any of us want that kind of feeling here..that we cant come in, throw ourselves on the floor and beat our heads on the carpet.. ( careful if you choose my carpet.. you are apt to come up with fur in some funny places.. vacuuming isnt something I can keep up with!)

Bawdy is treating us with some low carb party..with all her extra moola! Glad that worked out in your favor lady!

On that note, I really am off to go relax with a cuppa tea with some cinnamon

Nite folks........