Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 10:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/185/148 Female 5'10"
BF:36%/31%/23%
Progress: 26%
Default I was expecting amazing weightloss! where is it?

I started Atkins Induction on July 10 with the zeal of a mad woman. Two weeks past with no weightloss. I then bought supplements, cut out cheese and increased my water intake. Then I wondered if my metobolic resistantance had anything to do with my Gallblader removal years ago. Then I questioned if the artificial sweetners were causing me to stall. Then I cut back on any highly salted food products (darn that ment bacon). I know now that calories really count.

Before I go on and on....and I could. Most of us start Atkins for weightloss, we are eager and want results. I think Atkins sets us with unresonable expections about weightloss. Many people have an easy time at it and the weight just melts off. Others of us have to tweak and then tweak again to get any results because we are metobolicly resistant.

I have to battle daily to remind myself that LCing is a way of life for health and that weightloss is only part of the equation. I weigh myself daily and hope to see results because I want to be lean and strong.

My advise is to set realistic expectations and stick with it.

Regards,

Last edited by 94513 : Sat, Nov-15-03 at 10:31. Reason: tweaking and tweaking
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 11:19

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I had my Gallbladder removed more than 20 years ago. I don't think it limits your weight loss. My weight is slow coming off too but it is coming off. Sometimes it takes a while for a pound to go But it is still going.

Have a great day!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 13:30
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

94513 - Do you keep a fitday account? It could help you see if there ar eany other problem areas, and allow other members of the board to share ideas when you are sick of thinking of ways to tweak.

Yes the weight loss can be slow, but remember often times those who lose it slower are able to keep it off in the long run versus someone who drops it all at once. Another bonus to slower loss is not so much baggy saggy skin to contend with after. Between my pregnancies, c-sections, and recent weight loss I have a huge saggy tummy. What really depresses me is the thought most of it is skin and there isn't a dang thing I can do short of surgury, even if I do lose more weight.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 17:02

LadyBelle - I can agree slow may be a better way to loose and to keep from the sagging skin issue. I have given fitday a try a few times and just do not like it. I have learned that calories do count and I am more careful. Before I would use butter and mayo without really thought and inturn comsume alot. Now I am messuring out my mayo and butter. I am also using olive oil to cook with rather than butter. This way I am getting the fat but since those are the biggest calorie counts I am choosing to use them in moderation.

maryc - I agree that slow is slow without my Gallbladder or not. In the begining I was just looking for some reason why I failed to loose quickly on Induction. There were so many success stories about how much weight folks had lost. I will be a late bloomer.

thank you both for your encouragement!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 19:24

Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

I really notice that if I have any kind of artificial sweeteners, especially the bars with sugar alcohol, it STOPS my weight loss. The day I stopped those delicous candy bars that say 0 carbs is the day I started losing, not as much as I wanted, but it's coming.

Piano
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 19:34

Stats: 166/160/143 Female 5'10
BF:

If you're not using fitday then why not post a ypical days worth of food for us to look at.

My guess - with this information - is that you may not be eating enough fat.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 20:47
Registered Member

Stats: 160/134/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I do agree with Rogue, it sounds like not enough fat- I would go back to induction, following the straight and narrow, forget about calories, and focus on that for a while. Drink your water, see how it goes. Don't weigh daily, it will make you crazy if you do not get a loss daily. Weekly is good enough, just stick with it and re read the induction so you are following it to the letter. Add your foods back in the correct order, and be sure to measure out your portions so you know your carb count. Fat is your friend- it helps you feel satisfied and if you are burning it ( by not giving your body carb fuel) you can't store it! Good Luck, you can do it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 21:11

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I know I weigh more so I can eat more and lose still but I notice a much more steady weight loss if I eat my butter, mayo, olive oil and cheese... I thikn the high fat really makes a difference. I do thikn the Carb bars are a staller...
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 21:29

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

It can be a slow loss, but for me it is still a lifesaver. I was gaining and gaining and nothing was changing that trend. I would have been happy if LC just stopped the gaining, but slowly, the weight is being lost. Nothing else has worked for me. And really, I figure that the slower it comes off, the more REAL that loss is for me.

Sorry it's been such a struggle though. Have you had your thyroid checked? Hope you see some more progress soon...and the 10 pounds you're down is great, and noticiable, I bet.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 09:10

Default slow and strong

I have been back on strick induction for 4 days and I am messuring out my portions and counting each carb. I was abusing butter, cream and mayo because they taste great, now I am messuring them out. The carbs I didn't count before were in these three items also. I can say that I am taking attention to the details. For me I am sure that calories and hidden carbs have contributed to my slow results. Metobolic resistance is a stinker. I am not going to deprive myself nor have blind faith that eating low-carb will mean I will loose weight, because 3,500 calories of low-carb food in a day still means weight gain.

The encouragement and guidance have given me so much help thank you sincerely!

Last edited by 94513 : Sun, Nov-16-03 at 09:13.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 10:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Butter and mayonnaise shouldn't have any carbs in them at all unless you are using Miracle Whip, which does have carbs, instead of real mayonnaise. Heavy cream does have some carbs (6.5 per cup), but is limited to only a few tablespoons per day during induction so the carbs from that should be negligible as well.
Be careful with cutting the fats back too much in an effort to cut calories; you actually need fat with this WOE to lose fat, so cutting back too much could actually be counterproductive. The average percentage of calories from fat during induction ranges from 65%-75% for most folks and many find that they lose better at the higher percentage. Contrary to popular opinion, this is actually high fat diet during the early phases, not a high protein one.