Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 09:11
Registered Member

Plan: Bodyopus - Varied
Stats: 215/210/190 Male 5'11"
BF:~8%
Progress: 20%
Default Does anybody here follow Bodyopus to a T?

I am curious who all here has followed the Bodyopus diet all the way for at least a couple of weeks. The reason I am asking is because I have noticed a lot of talk about 24-30 hour carb-ups to avoid fat spillover, yet Bodyopus recommends a 48 hour carb-up eating every two hours. Am I missing something here? I am new to these boards (so please no flaming) and all the information here has been really helpful. I have followed Bodyopus to a T (because that's all I knew) supplements, training regimen and all. I found these boards and it sounds like there's so much more new stuff that has come out since Bodyopus I wonder if what I am doing is out of date? I'm hearing about TKD's now...which made me think I could possibly try the insulin spiking during Bodyopus to see if I couldn't get a better result on the muscle-building during the diet. I thought that might allow me to build a little more muscle while I kill the fat away. Any thoughts on this? Any variations people have done to Bodyopus to make it better? Any successes with Bodyopus?

Like I said, I am curious, because until recently, Bodyopus was all I knew. I'm the type of person who actually loves to diet (because I know what the end result is going to be!) and will strictly follow anthing...supplements, training, eating...everything, no matter what.

So basically if Bodyopus has improved in any way because of advanced knowledge or anything else, i would love to know so I can add it to what I am currently doing.

Thanks in advance

Sporto
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 09:15
Registered Member

Also, I was thinking about possibly incorporating some periodization training into Bodyopus for a 12 week stint to see if they might do some good. Any thoughts on this? Tudor Bompa, who has a ton of information out on periodization, was who I followed religiously until I encountered Bodyopus, Dan Duchaine, Lyle McDonald's diaries, etc...and have been ketogenic ever since lol. I just thought that might help with better muscle development if the training was varied...

Sporto
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 16:22

Plan: CKD
Stats: 210/208/220 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: -20%
Default my thoughts

I've got a feeling the 48 hour Dan recommended was likely more geared toward Pro bodybuilders (i.e. steroid users).

For most people who are natural (even people in the mid-200lb range); carbing up for 2 full days will likely lead to spillover.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 11:06
Registered Member

Thanks Avery

I was using the 48 hour carb-up and was just using the calculated carb values as a guide as to what not to go over. For instance, for me the 1st 4 meals were 172g carbs each meal. I just took in about 150-165 and used it as a guide as the max number. I got extremely good results and still looked lean after the 48 hour carb-up. I was just unsure as to the 24 hour being more beneficial. I think it would be if you were concerned about fat spillover, plus it would allow leeway for extra carbs as you wind down towards the keto portion of the diet.

I do think that if you use it as a guide as the max number you can have untilspillover and just approach it, you can get more into the muscles and less into spillover. Of course, I understand partitioning goes down after the initial 24 hours, but trial and error would be the best idea here.

Thanks again though for your input and insight

Sporto
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 20:26

Stats: 210/208/220 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: -20%
Default yeah

I think your trial and error statement hit it on the nose. I've generally used around a 36 hour in the past and been pretty successful with it.

I could cheat a little more on it the first 5 weekends than I could on the last 5; its tried and true that the lower your bf% gets then the easier it is to put fat back on (i.e. more spillover)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 04:12
Registered Member

Yea, I guess it just depends on how well your body partitions I guess. I know it's harder the leaner you are, that's why I am anxious to try out a new product that Avant Labs has come out with called Leptigen. It's supposeed to help with partitioning and have the right hormones send a signal to your brain and tell it that it is not starving during dieting. It sounds really good, so I was going to give it a try. The product has to do with leptin levels obviously, hence the name. If you go to Avant Labs website they have more information on it. You might want to check it out.

Sporto
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 06:08

Plan: carb/calorie cycling
Stats: 187/134/128 Female 1,59m
BF:36%/25%/21%
Progress: 90%

When I'd carb up for more than 24 hrs (mostly in a more lax way) I'd inevitably gain so much weight (OK, mostly water) that it would take longer than 1 week to shed that weight or at the least take until next Friday.
Just 24 hrs of carb up has worked decently well.

But that's me, a female.. males prob can get away with longer carb ups provided you do proper glycogen depletion workouts.

But check out Lyle McDonald's new Ultimate Diet 2.0 (www.bodyrecomposition.com ) for the latest developments!

Fietser
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 08:16
Registered Member

Thanks Fietser. I have abandoned Bodyopus for the last week or so to give UD2 a try. I'm currently towards the end of my first week (I do the hypertrophy workout tonight). But, I agree...Lyle's books were nothing short of amazing.

Sporto
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 18:42
Registered Member

Stats: 235/212/200 Male 73 in
BF:estimated 18%
Progress: 66%

I think the UD2.0 is more geared towards people who are already lean (<15%), Lyle stated that also.