Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 21:30

Plan: modified LC carb cycling
Stats: 182/148/125 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default bigger waist than I had before? hormones?

Hi all

I've got a different question here.

I weighed and measured, then confirmed by trying on my old jeans...

They're lose in the legs and butt, and tighter in the waist and upper hip area than they were.

I tend to have high cortisol which deposits fat in the belly area. I'm also 38 and could be heading into perimenopause.

I'm worried that some of my 28 lb loss is muscle, making my butt and legs smaller and waist bigger than I was at this weight before.

I'm very careful about getting enough calories and protein.

Anyone else experince this?

Maggie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 23:03

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 302/295/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 6%

Maggie, all of your ideas are possibilities. Have you done any strength training while losing weight? I hope so, to not is to set yourself up for some serious lean mass loss.
Another point is our fat moves around, even for up to 2 months after we stop losing! It might just be getting situated. Funny huh.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 23:52

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

What is causing your high cortisol levels?? I hope you have had it properly checked out. Do you have headaches, high blood pressure or abdominal stratchmarks??
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 23:57

BF:

Hi Yukon Sun and Jaddles

I do LOTS of exercise. I don't lift weights, but I canoe, kayak, cross country ski, hike, mountain bike, etc. I would be very surprised if I've lost significant muscle with my activity levels.

My cortisol is elevated because of stress I think. I went to a naturalpath and got it tested. I don't have high blood pressure, it's actually very low. No stretch marks. I do get headaches though. Quite severe at times, around my eyes, but I don't think they're migraines. Around my eyes and face...

If fat indeed floats around, it will be interesting to see how this all 'even's out when I'm at my goal...

Thanks to both of you for replying

Maggie

Last edited by ykmaggie : Wed, Nov-19-03 at 23:59.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

You're right about stress and cortisol levels, and this does have an effect on fat location:

"Central fat and peripheral fat secrete different hormone-like substances that have contrasting effects on insulin sensitivity, which in turn affects lipid and glucose metabolism accordingly," [Dr. Tanaka] said. "Hormones derived from peripheral fat mass may enhance insulin sensitivity and thereby improve lipid and glucose status, whereas those from visceral fat seem to exhibit the opposite effect."

Yow, not good news. You have lost considerable weight, though, and I think it goes first from places the body considers less important, and hangs onto central fat longer. There was a thread a while back where ladies were saying their belly fat went last. And you still have a ways to go towards goal.
Do you take any supplements that might help this situation? All that exercise is great, maybe your metabolism needs just a little nudge. I take CLA, you can read about it in my journal. CLA is a metabolism supplement that helps insulin sensitivity.
Also, there is CoQ10 and a hormone precursor for women called pregnenolone. These help balance hormone levels safely as neither of them are actual hormones, only building blocks that the body uses as needed.
Isn't it strange that active people like you still have problems losing weight until they adjust their carb levels? There's definitely something fascinating going on there.

Last edited by adkpam : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 08:03.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 08:52
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Are you eating alot of sugar free candy, dairy, or something else that could possibly be causing bloating? Are you drinking enough water and watching sodium so your not retaining alot of water and bloating?

I know there are some diet drugs that claim to block chitisol which deposits fat around the waist. I don't know if I belive thier claims though. What you might try doing is adding yoga into your exercise rutine and practice ways to clam and center yourself. It may not help with the hormones, but it could help with stress levels which in turn can help with levels. Also are you getting enough sleep at nights?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

There's a thread here called Women and Waist Measurement -- check it out. Could be a hormone thing -- with women approaching 40. I think it could also be that our bodies will lose the fat that "protects" our vital organs last. See that thread for other possible causes, plus things that can help.

My waist is an inch bigger than it was this time last year. And this time last year I weighed more. So there is something going on.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 13:22

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

For me too, the waist is the problem area. Four years ago, I gained 25 lbs. in 6 months on Depo Provera. It all went around my waist. Although I have lost 3" around my waist since being on Atkins, I am very out of proportion. My pants are snug at the waist but baggy in the butt (totally a switch, I was ALWAYS a pear). I think it was the hormone manipulation of the Depo (and being over 40) that is responsible... And I really wish I had a solution to reducing the belly fat ...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 16:56

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hi again - I only ask because there is a very rare condition which causes elevated cortisol, truncal weight gain, and skinny arms and legs. I really think it would be worth asking your doctor for a 24 hour urinary free cortisol test to rule it out.

Whatever you decide - good luck!!

Last edited by jaddles : Thu, Nov-20-03 at 16:58.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 17:53

BF:

thanks for all the stories and tips ladies!

I will definately be getting some CLA and Co- Enzyme Q.

Yes it is funny that someone like me can struggle with my weight with all this exercise. I put the weight on in a very short amount of time with thyroid disease 3 years ago.

It wasn't till I dropped the carbs AND the fat that I really started losing.

Yoga is a great idea. Thank you! I cracked two ribs when I crashed on my mountain bike a month or so ago, so I have to wait maybe another couple of weeks to try it.

I also thought about trying acupuncture.

I have heard about that condition that causes high cortisol - cushings disease. My naturalpath has ruled that out. Chronic stress is the real culpret here I think.

I don't eat dairy, use salt or do anything else that causes bloating. I don't really seem bloated, I just have a bigger waist circumference than before.

I've heard HORROR stories about Depro Vera! Skyangle I'm glad you got off that.

Thanks so much everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I'm hoping my body is just protecting the fat around my waist, and it will all go away when I'm closer to my goal.

Thanks!

Maggie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 12:24

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

bumping up this old thread, can someone please help me understand elevated cortisol levels and their correlation with stress/anxiety? chronic stress is a huge problem for me, and i suspect it's due to hormones. i've stopped exercising b/c maybe i thought htat was contributing to cortisol levels. and what about birth control pills, how do they effect cortisol and other hormones? thanks
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 12:01

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Default i just got and read this book

http://www.cortisolconnection.com/preview.php

I also have high cortisol connected to PCOS. I got this book and it is very helpful in finding natural cortisol control regimen for people who are very stressed in different areas of life.

Maybe this will help you.

deb
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 15:11

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

believe? OMG, hi! how r u? is everything ok? please stop by my journal-- please tell me how you are, i've actually been worried/thinking about u but didn't want to PM just in case you were off atkins/trying to keep your mind off of your weight. I ate brussel sprouts the other day, made me think of you, lol.

stress, too much exercise, and a history of ED can cause elevated cortisol levels-- i had my cortisol level tested (they take your blood, give u a shot, wait an hour, and take your blood again)

bc pills affect insulin sensitivity, but i don't think it has an effect on cortisol. Not sure though.....
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 18:42

Plan: CAD maintenance
Stats: // Female 63
BF:
Progress: 123%

Trustycat- I emailed you like 2 days ago cause I was wondering how you were, I hope you get around to reading it soon! Brussel sprouts sure are good aren't they?

deb- Thanks for the link. I ordered the book as well as one called "Adrenal Fatigue". My anxiety and stress are thru the roof and my doctor just prescribed Xanax but prescription pills in t he past have done me more harm than good, so I am looking to manage my cortisol levels without drugs.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 00:17

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

believe- got your e-mail and replied!