Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 21:30

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Unhappy flax seed meal - what can I make?!

HI! I made it to the city today and was very fortunate to find Bob's Red Mill - Flax Seed Meal. Is there anything I can make with it and other ingredients (not including protein powders, etc) as it's all I've got on hand in the way of a flour-type substance? Or do I need to wait until I make another trip in and find some other ingredients?

Thanks!

Nicole
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 00:25
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Hi Wolfiesask!

You might want to do a search of this forum, there are a lot of really informative threads about flax. I just bought my second bag of Bob's Flaxmeal, and I've made muffins (recipe from this site) but what I'm really psyched about is using it as hot cereal!

I use 4 heaping tbsp of the flaxmeal, 1 heaping tbsp wheat bran, and 1 heaping tbsp of chopped or ground nuts. (And that's a whole lotta heaping!) Mix these dry ingrediants together in a cereal bowl and add boiling water till it looks about right (it will thicken a little upon standing). Add a pat of butter, cream, splenda and/or cinnamon if you like. What I really like to do is substitute Gingerbread DaVinci syrup for part of the boiling water and add a smidgin' of cream.

It is SOOOO good! Or at least, my low carbing household thinks so! One other thing, this bowl of cereal gives me approximately 16 grams of fiber! <-- It's a good thing, like Martha Stewart says.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 19:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Awesome Sour Cream Muffins

1/4 c soy flour, ( have used oat flour and almond flour as a sub)
1/4 c soy protein isolate
1/4 c. sesame seeds ,ground
1.4 c flax seeds ground
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c sour cream
4 eggs
1/4 c butter
1.2 c splenda
1 tsp extract ( flavor , your choice)
Mix all ingredients and pour into greased muffin tins. Do not use paper liners.Sticks) Bake 20=25 mins at 350 eeg. These have a consistency almost like a white flour muffin. You can double flax seed and omit sesame seed.
2 carbs per muffin if you make 12.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 21:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 236/180/145 Female 5 7
BF:
Progress: 62%

HA ! thats an easy one .... try this

Its my own recipe and i must say i go into withdrawl if i dont have my flaxseed muffins every day

I am making some as i type this

Scrumptous LC Banana-Nut-Flax Muffins

1/2 cup melted butter
6 eggs
1/2 cup whipping cream or half and half
4 Tbsp Banana extract

Beat eggs, butter, whipping cream and extract well ( if you dont mix this well the eggs will get all stringy in the cooked batter - yeech )

1 cup Splenda
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp baking soda
2 cup of flaxseed ( grind them in coffee grinder)
1/4 cup Atkin's Bake Mix
1 cup chopped walnuts

Mix together dry ingredients with a fork till well blended.

You can use 18 paper cupcake liners in a muffin tin and fill 3/4 full, or if you would rather not use liners and you have older or aged muffin tins spray with pam first, then fill.

Note: They do not stick at all in newer baking tins.

Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 min. About 4 carbs per muffin. These are very moist and delicious, and they also freeze well!

Enjoy ....