Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 16:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default In ketosis and not losing weight/inches

Hey all,
Well, I've been on Atkins a month as of today. During the first two weeks I lost 10 lbs but in the next two weeks I've lost nothing. I've been using the ketostix everyday and I'm almost always in the dark area.

I am drinking enough water and I'm eating between 10-15 carbs a day. I haven't cheated and I'm eating enough food so that I'm not hungry.

So, If i'm in heavy ketosis, then why have I not lost any weight or inches for 2 weeks???? Could I be on a plateau already??? Could I be retaining water from sodium intake???

My ketostix are new and not out of date, so I don't think they are wrong.

Any ideas or suggestions?? please help!

-Ambrea
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 16:27

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Best suggestion is some patience. Stalls after initial loss are normal and to be expected. Your body just gave up some water and some fat - and fat cells are notrious for being uncooperative.

If you truly are eating enough and you are drinking enough no harm can be done by waiting it out. You've already proved that this WOE works - you have 10 lbs of proof. Increasing water wouldnt hurt - it's the constant influx of water that forces the fat cells to 'give up' and let go.

Also, have a look through the sticky in Newbies' Questions called "Hot Links!" for the links concerning "Did you expect all your progress to be loses" and "Can stress be a staller?" They should provide some relief from your anxiety - and keep in mind anxiety about not losing scale weight is very much stressful.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 02:38
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Post JUST IN CASE...

Other than the "stall", do you feel fine? If you have good energy, sleep well, and your moods are stable, then maybe it's something in the diet that needs "tweaking". As Nat said, there is a lot of time-tested advice to break off stalls but if you don't feel well, please come back here and describe whatever bothers you as there could be other reasons for getting stuck which sometimes are overlooked for a long time.

Hang in there, you're not alone, I've been stuck now for two months after losing 7 lbs. during my first 3 weeks...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 08:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/137/130 Female 65.5
BF:Unknown
Progress: 89%
Cool

'it's the constant influx of water that forces the fat cells to 'give up' and let go'

Nat,

Wow!! Can you explain a little more about how this works?

Thanx,

Betsy