Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 19:58

Plan: atkins induction
Stats: 200/175/150
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default atkins advantage bars

Help!! can we use the advantage bars during induction? I stayed on induction for two weeks with a loss - wanted to keep on doing the induction phase but have been using 1 to 1/2 advantage bar per and loss has stopped during the third week - do they only really count as 2-3 carbs???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 01:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Even Dr. A says 1/2 to 1 bar a day max during Induction, and if your loss stops, none at all.

www.atkinscenter.org <--- source of all Atkins FAQs
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 10:43

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Also another point to check out is those advantage bars have hidden carbs in them also... could range from 10-25 or so hidden carbs... some people can use them some cant.. if your weight loss stalls id steer away from them .. Just my 2 cents worth

Tammy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 12:19

BF:
Default advantage bars

thanks for the replies regarding the Atkins advantage bars. guess they were to handy. I am still having trouble understanding the 2-3 grams listed on the front when they actually have 22 grams or so. I really need something to eat on the go, as it is really hard, as is for everyone, to stay on the induction plan when traveling very much. appreciate any advice!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 12:25
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Re: hidden carbs and lc bars/candy. They are made with sugar alcohols that are digested differently (i.e., kind of a laxative) and it is legal to post this way because the 2-3 carbs are called impact carbs. (The disclaimer is always posted somewhere on the wrapper).

Depends what kind of traveling... in a car?

Go thru a drive thru and get a double cheeseburger w/ no ketchup (and only eat the middle).

On a plane - you can bring nuts (macadamian or pecans are the best), cut up raw veggies and dressing to dip, cheese holds up well for a day if wrapped ok.. or string cheese, some jerkys are lower in carbs per serving, pepperoni, hb eggs....

The bars are easier but as stated - if you aren't losing it's the first thing to lose.

But another thing is you may not be eating enough???? Or your body may just be catching up with your initial loss.

I recommend to start a journal and keep track of meals. You may be ok with the occassional bar and have another reason for your stall.

Last edited by lkonzelman : Fri, Jan-31-03 at 12:28.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 12:38

BF:

Thanks for the replies - WOW Lisa, you are doing great!! I have 40 to go and it really seems slow - especially when you stop losing for a week. Guess I will cut out the advantage bars and try to do a little better with vegies. I am going to try to do the induction for at least a another week - adding in 5 carbs per day doesn't hardly seem worth it!!! May just go overboard if I do try to. thanks again for any support anyone can give!!! Dee
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 14:16
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

You are doing great and will continue to. It only takes thought and planning to do good for yourself.

Just keep mixing up your meals and snacks. The key here is this is a way of life not a diet and you should enjoy eating again without guilt.

Take care of yourself and it will work for you.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 09:44

BF:

Well, I made it thru the first day of beginning of my 4th week of LCing. I will be traveling 5 days toward the end of this week and the weekend - am really trying to plan what to eat when eating out with a group. We went with friends to a all you can eat BBQ buffet with a wonderful desert bar!!! Was really hard to fill up on salad and meat and act like I was to full for desert!!! No one other than my husband knew I was LCing. Lots of people advise against the atkins plan. I would really like to be down another 14# by Bday of april 5. I have tried the McDonalds Big & Tasty with nothing on it and tossed the bun out - it does make a easy drive thru lunch - have upped water intake, which is very hard in the winter - and also have tried to eat my veggies - made a wonderful spinach salad with hb eggs, bacon and cheese with a dressing of oliver oil and vinegar - WHAT IS EVERYBODY ELSLE EATING?? need ideas bad - Dee