Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 10:52

Plan: Low carb in general
Stats: 225/223/180
BF:
Progress:
Question Avacado's

I have seen several notes on this site about eating nuts and avacado's and they all encourage it. I don't see how you can eat these things and still lose. Am I missing something? I looked up the carb count for avacado's and it is around 27 for a whole one. Nuts are equally as high. I have also noticed that the average carb intake should be around 20 to lose. I am really wanting this "low carb" thing to work but I am afraid of sabotaging my diet with this sort of thing. Thanks for any input on this. Patsy G
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 11:10
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question Numbers

I don’t know where you got your numbers but a California raw avocado is 3.5 ECC. As for (true) nuts, their ECC counts vary wildly but they go from 2 to 4 ECC per ounce. Refer the chart europoz once posted for them.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 11:31

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Nuts and Avocados

Patsy G,
Avocados have enzymes in them that help you digest their fat and they are so good for you. I eat nuts all the time, they provide fiber, protein and a small amount of carbs. Infact it seems like I lose, when I eat nuts. I don't know if it's the added calories or the fiber, that helps. You do know that you minus out the fiber from the carb count? Almonds are especially low in carb count once you minus out the fiber, only 1 carb per ounce, with 6 grams of protein. Well, anyway....everyone does this low carbing different. I read to keep your carb count anywhere between 30 and 50 carbs. So keep researching and experimenting...you'll figure out what works for you. Victoria
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 11:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I have seen several notes on this site about eating nuts and avacado's and they all encourage it. I don't see how you can eat these things and still lose.

The more you know about something, the less fearful you are of it.

When I started, I never stopped researching, figuring out carb counts and reading low carb books. I could then proceed without fear because I new what the basic principles of low-carbing were. Then, I could tailor a plan to suit my needs and tastes.

It's limiting us in the long run when we live in fear of certain food because we don't understand how it works in our bodies or what our tolerance is for it.

Karen