Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 16:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/202/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Lightbulb is it worth it? i hope so

I am on my second week of induction and have not lost a pound but after reading your success stories i think i will keep on trying.
Have any of you guys felt ill ?. I feel so tired all the time it is really getting me down and i am catching any bugs that my three children care to fetch home from school. The atkins plan seemed like a good idea at the time and i really do want to lose my weight any help would be soooooooooooooooo welcome. I think it would help if i knew what i was doing. SORRY FOR BEING SUCH A MISERY.Promise to cheer up next time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 16:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Don't worry about being frustrated. Making big changes in your lifestyle and upsetting things in your zone of comfort is bound to find a release. Frustration is one way.

It's hard to tell why you aren't losing without knowing what you are eating and how much water you are drinking. Would you post some meal examples with amounts? It'll help anyone who reads this thread give helpful suggestions.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 221.0/219.0/190.0 Male 6.0
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Give it some time...

Congratulations on taking the low-carb plunge. Take it from me it is worth it!

My experience 20 years ago with Atkins is similar to what I'm finding now. For some of us it takes time to build momentum. And on top of that if you've been prone to large intakes of sugar, white flour and ricey starch based products (all of which I love when I'm on that (yuckky) side), your body is going through an enormous change right now. While it's cleaning itself out, there's alot of energy being expended which may be making you feel tired. Also make sure you're taking your daily supplements -- at the very least a powerful one-a-day!

As Atkins has said, you might want to up your carbs a bit by adding cottage cheese or something similar. By making this slight change you could feel better and once you get stabilized in your energy, you might want to give things a boot by kicking up your cardio -- start taking walks (it's amazing what doing an outdoor walk once a day can do for your spirit and energy).

I found that by increasing my cardio during the initial phases my metabolism seems to kick in and I start to loose, AND once you've got momentum then the pounds really start to roll (pardon the pun!)

Take care, don't loose heart, it'll happen in it's time.
paulwales
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 16:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/202/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Talking thank you for your reply

I think i dont eat enough of anything. please dont think im stupid cos when you read this you will think no wonder......... I dont eat breakfast usually too tied up wih getting kids off to school and i am not a lover of anything cooked in the morning. Perhaps a ommlette at lunch. and meat of some sort at evening meal. I do sometimes skip meals because i am not hungry . perhaps that is it. I drink a lot of decaf. Do you know looking at this no wonder i am not losing weight. its not till you see it written down that you see where youre going wrong. How much water should i drink? and what is the best fruit to eat ive missed fruit so much. Thank so much for your help
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 18:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

From your meal descriptions, it sounds like you are really under eating.. It's worth it to go back to your copy of the Atkins book and re-read the chapter on Induction, and the list of allowable foods. Fruit is not allowed during induction, but can be added in slowly after induction. The best fruits are berries and some people eat melon, but I still find the carb levels on melons too high for my liking.

You should be adding more veggies to your meal. Lots of salad and salad greens as described in the book, plus the other allowable induction veggies like asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower etc etc.

You should be drinking a at least 8 x 8 ounce glasses of water, plus 1 glass for every 25 pounds you are overweight.

Not being hungry is one of the biggest obstacles to overcome. Skipping meals will just upset your metabolism. Eat Up !

You made great progress in the first week. Sounds like you have the desire to do it, you just need to get through figuring out how to do it correctly. IT's kind of complicated stuff and we all make mistakes along the way, especially in the begining. Hang in there.

And..as Paul said...it's worth it!!!