Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:07

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Some opinions re: smaller meals menu

Hi all,
I've been reading up more on smaller meals vs. larger meals (i.e., 5-6 smaller ones instead of 3 big ones) and I decided to try it. But I'm not sure if I'm going in the right direction. Could anyone please look over my menu for the past few days and tell me what you think?

Mon
8 a.m.
2 oz cheese

11 a.m.
sugar-free yogurt (I'm on GO Diet so yogurt is allowed and encouraged)

1 p.m.
ground beef,chedder cheese, and salsa all mixed together (probably about 1/2 cup of this)

4 p.m.
Cole slaw (probably also about 1/2 cup of this)

7 p.m.
Salad of romaine lettuce and green onion (I like my salads green and crispy ) with balsamic-feta cheese vinigrette
individual cheesecake (receipe is in the Sweets section - thank you to whoever posted it!)

Tues
8 a.m.
2 oz cheese

11 a.m.
2 oz nuts

1 p.m.
1/2 low-carb bar

4 p.m.
flavored yogurt

7 p.m.
tuna salad
1/2 low carb bar

I know it's not exactly every 2 hours but my work/study schedual sort of screws things up.

Any opinions? So far it's feeling ok.

Thanks,
Tam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:21

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I don't know much about the Go Diet, but here's what I learned from the summary on this site:
Quote:
The Go-Diet emphasizes low carbohydrate, no calorie counting, normal amounts of protein, high monounsaturated fats with reduction in saturated fats and encourages increased fibre and natural nutrient intake.
Now, on a plan that doesn't count calories, your menu seems extremely restrictive to me. You also don't seem to be eating enough veggies.

I eat mini-meals and try my hardest to make sure they have involve protein, fat, and carbs. Samples include yogurt with fruit and protein powder, a wrap with meat, cheese, mayo, and lettuce, a small salad w/ meat and dressing. Your mini-meals should be MEALS, not snacks. It looks more like you're snacking with one moderately sized actual meal.

The point of mini-meals is to boost the metabolism by keeping it well fed. I think you can probably eat more, not be hungry, and still lose weight.

Just my opinion!

Last edited by Skamito : Wed, Apr-16-03 at 14:22.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 11:11

Plan: Vegetarian Low GI
Stats: 188/179.8/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Thanks Angela - I guess that was my confusion with the smaller vs. bigger meals philosophy. I took it to mean more like 5-6 "snacks" (protien-rich of course) instead of 3 "meals". You're right about the veggies (that occured to me too). I'll try to incorporate more veggies and more variety (getting out the old LC cookbooks... )

Tam