Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: Bodyopus - Varied
Stats: 215/210/190 Male 5'11"
BF:~8%
Progress: 20%
Default anybody tried spiking insulin before workouts during Bodyopus?

has anyone had some success with it? what I mean is...the way Bodyopus is scheduled with workouts being on mon and tues, cardio on wed and thurs, then grand depletion workout on fri...i was wondering if anyone has had success spiking their insulin with high GI carbs before the workouts and was still able to drop back down into ketosis for the fat burning effects. i figured if we can do it with the fri workout, why not with the mon and tues workouts?

also, has anyone tried it and ran into some problems?

thanks in advance

sporto
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 18:49

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

If you do it for the other workouts, then you are actually following a TKD, not a CKD.

I like doing it before Friday's workout because I get a much better workout in, and I can really hit those last few full body circuits to ensure full depletion before the carb-up.

But, I still add in some cardio at the end of the Friday workout just to be sure.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 08:39
Registered Member

TKD? I guess I have to read up on the differences of the two diets...for whatever reason I assumed TKD was more like the Atkins diet with no cycled carb-ups. I will have to browse around to find the info.

I just remember in Lyle McDonald's Bodyopus pages, he stated that he was doing the insulin spike before his workouts on his mass gaining phase. I was just trying to get more specific info and how I could apply this to what I am doing.

I am currently 210 lbs. at about 7% bodyfat at 5'11". I have 5 months until my very first bodybuilding show and was playing around with Bodyopus and trying different things to see how I can use it effectively when the time came.

If you have any other info tidbits on these two diets, they are more than welcome. Like I said, this will be my first show, so I am really new to hardcore dieting.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 09:38

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Lyle is big on the TKD too.

There are no cycled carb-ups, just pre-workout carb-ups. That's the way I understand it. I'm not big on the TKD.

With your bodyfat so low, and being so far out from your show, I suspect you should be doing a high-carb, post-training meal every 3rd day.

What does your post-training intake look like now?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 12:32
Registered Member

Well, I used Bodyopus to get down to where I am at now, and pretty much haven't changed anything yet that has to do with carbs. So in that case, my post workout meal is still:

1 scoop Isopure Zero Carb (25g protein)
1 Tbsp Flaxseed oil

That's all I had been taking b/c I didn't know really what else to take.

Thanks in advance again Trainerdan