Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 09:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/162/140
BF:
Progress: 35%
Cool Introduce

Hi- I guess last night I didn't properly introduce myself. I am 41 years old, married and have 2 grown daughters. Growing up I was never overweight but my tummy wasn't quite as flat as my friends. After my first daughter was born I was able to loose the weight without much effort. After my second daughter was born I kept the weight on for 17 years! Then in '98 I lost 35 lbs on Atkins. Here we are at 02' and I've gained alot back, but am still smaller than I was when I began in '98. Actually in '98 I never reached my goal which is 140. I think that is pretty reasonable for a 5'6" frame. So I need to lose 25 lbs! Also, diabetes runs rampid in my family, with all the women getting adult onset diabetes due to being over weight, so that is another motivation for me. I'm finding it harder this time. I'm not a meat lover, but I do love veggies (and fruit). Most days I eat 2 meals and one Atkins shake and alot of celery. With summer coming up I am already craving pasta salads, and melons. Also, I work 2 nights a week (And 3 days)and like to snack and watch TV to relax! Or on Fri friends call and want to go to happy hour! Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 10:21

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hey MMS!!

Dreading summer food?? What's one of the best things about summer? Bar-B-Q!!!

Oh, and the happy hour thing...if you absolutely have to go to happy hour (and I really can't blame you ) try drinking water with a lemon wedge. It's not beer, but it's social.

Just think...what's more important, one night of drinks or getting that weight off??

Get yourself some good LC snacks and enjoy the ride!!

All the best,
KC
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 13:08
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Hi Mary!

You know, Mary, my goals have changed 4 times since I've been LCing and posting on this board. Stay with the program, keep visiting and posting and who know what could happen with you?

This is how my experience has gone:

Week 1-2: I'm fat. I need to lose weight. Read Atkins, get on the program right away. Tremendous weight loss in short period of time .... I'm thrilled!!

Week 2-3: Oops! Weightloss has stalled... but I'm feeling great! Maybe I should go for a brisk walk or good bike ride a few times/week. I'll stay on the plan though, 'cause I'm feeling really good and folks from this board tell me to BE PATIENT!!

Week 4-5: The weight is coming off VERY slowly....scale is bouncing between 171-174. I better get a bit more serious about my exercise....I'll cycle every day. Start digging a little more into the success stories on this board and do some research into this Body-for-Life thing that Nat's all worked up about. Hey, I haven't had a drink for over a month! I better have a glass of wine or two before I forget how to drink.

Next day: UGH. I hate the way that wine made me feel all sleepy and sluggish last night. And I hate the way it makes me feel right now even worse...my day is half-ruined. Yech. I must be coming down with something.

Week 5-6: I've read BFL, got my weights, got my journal ready, got my supplements lined up and I AM READY TO ROCK!!!! This babe is gonna be LEAN AND MEAN if it takes me 3 years to do it!!! My goal is now tight abs, buns of steel and beautiful round, sstrong shoulders!! Won't settle for less. I think I'll go have a glass of wine with Jean to celebrate!

Next day: That's it!! NO more alcohol. I hate that crap. And after 25 years of regular cocktail consumption, who would have thunk it? I must have dried out while I was on Atkins induction. THANK GOD!! Achieved a goal I didn't even know I had! Gee, what's next? No smoking!?!?

TODAY: I'M WORKING OUT 6 DAYS A WEEK, EATING GOOD AND I'VE NEVER FELT BETTER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I'M FOCUSED, CONFIDENT, PATIENT , AND GETTING STRONGER EVERY DAY!

And you're right behind me
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 20:38

Stats: 174/162/140
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question LC snacks

Thanks for the support! It is good to hear it and other peoples stories. Any ideas on some good LC snacks? I don't care for pork rinds! I like natural peanut butter and celery, soy nuts, and egg salad on Wasa. We live in a small town with no LC products in the grocery stores. Has anyone tried ordering LC food from the multitude of internet sites? Lots of questions!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 21:03

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi MMS!!

Celery with cream cheese is good too, especially if you can find seasoned/flavored cream cheeses (LC of course ). I make a form of LC fudge (cream cheese, splenda, cocoa), but I don't recommend this if you are on induction, or very sensitive to sucralose. Veggies in Caesar dip are good in a pinch, cheese and sliced deli meats are nice (careful of hidden carbs here). Fried pepperoni dipped in honey mustard (mustard and splenda) is nice for a treat. Bacon wrapped scallops or steamed mussels make for a nice treat at night, or in the summertime. My best advice to you is to check out a site (here maybe?) with recipes for LC eating and just scroll through until you find one that interests you. One I found was www.lowcarbluxury.com. Just be careful to not always take online carb counts as "gospel." Make sure that you check the carb counts for the products that you use.

I am actually trying not to treat myself too much because I have been on a mini-stall as it is...although it looks like I may have come out of it...official weigh in tomorrow am!!

Wish me luck!! All the best to you too!

KC