Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 16:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/170/135
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Personal Trainer casts doubts

I got a real ear-full yesterday about the 'serious' dangers of low carbeating by an "Olympic Certified" personal trainer at a reputable fitnessclub. I was less than enamored by the chap who spoke to me agitatedly, as if he were reciting a lecture he'd delivered atleast 100 times that month to yet another idiot - BUT
his rant was still disconcerting. I am hoping some of you experts out there will refute it.

Basically his story boiled down to low carb resulting in bone
decalcification, setting me up for serious osteoporosis [I'm 47] and, anylow carb weight loss being the result of "merely water weight" or "burningup lean tissues and organs". I've read Atkins and Protein Power books and basically understand their position on the matter, I think. I tried to share what I'd learned in my studies, but he was not at all interested in my opinion. It all finally ended with me saying I would need a different personal trainer towork with who would support my lifestyle choices and preferences. It didn't feel polite to be challenging the "authority" and despite my best efforts, I left feeling rather hammered, and stuck with a few lingering doubts.

So, I am very much yearning for some live and experienced reassurance. I've been low carbing for 8 weeks now, and while I haven't lost much weight - maybe a few pounds - what keeps me going with it is it just feels right for me. My energy level is much higher than before, chronic lifelong asthma has all but
disappeared, and eating is a simple thing now instead of an ordeal.

Happy New Year Fellow Sojourners!

Kathryn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 16:59

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Personal Trainer casts doubts

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn

decalcification, setting me up for serious osteoporosis [I'm 47] and, anylow carb weight loss being the result of "merely water weight" or "burningup lean tissues and organs".
Kathryn

I am curious as to how limiting things such as bread, pasta, rice, and "starchy" foods which are high in carbohydrates "decalcify" bones? Like any of those have calicum? We eat dark leafy veggies that are high in calicum, as well as take supplements.

Is the guy a doctor? Is he a nutritionalist? Big whoopie he is a "certified" Olympic trainer. Unless that guy has a medical degree he shouldn't be lecturing anyone.

You did well in asking for a different trainer. That guy sounds like he has a "God" complex or at least a huge ego. Work with someone else and ignore that one.

You are doing the right thing. Visit our own excercise forum and see what others are doing. They are NOT losing muscle tissue that is for sure!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 17:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Kathryn, you were dealing with an olympic class blow hard. You know, someone who likes the sound of their own voice too much? If this person didnt even bother to listen to you then firing him was the right decision.

If LC weight loss is merely water then over the last 4 months I've lost 60 lbs of water! As for canabalizing lean muscle, my LBM has gone up from 138 lbs to 143 lbs.

You've read the books and you've read the stories here on the site; very soon you'll have your own story to tell. There's nothing like making an example by being that example - give it a few months then be sure to show him just how healthy and strong you have become.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 22:39

Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Kathryn.. sorry to hear about your experience with your trainer. I think you did the right thing asking for a new trainer. You need to be with someone that you are completely comfortable with... and as others have said... wait until you have your story to tell ... and show him....

My best to you ...

Ramona
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 23:11
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Kathryn,

Drop by our exercise forum. TrainerDan, who is way more qualified than this "olympic trainer" is a professional and certified trainer and may shed more light on this topic. What I really like about Dan, is that he knows what he is talking about and always sites research and medical papers to prove his point, rather than hide behind a cerification and regurgitate stereotypes and common myths.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 23:13

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I've been on a diet which burned up muscles and organs along with some fat--a very low calorie diet. I suppose if you dropped to 700 calories a day on atkins, you also could burn up lean body mass. So keep those calories up!

Next time someone tells you all this, take out a pad and paper and say, "interesting! Give me the scientific references where I can look this up." Since there are none that support his claims (if he really is well read, he'll come up with the Inuit bone loss data, which the Eades and others debunk well; otherwise, he'll look glazed for a second.)

In no way am I telling you what to do, but I've found that by saying, "I've eliminated sugar and white flour from my diet" I have had no one at all complain, lecture, or tell me I'm about to die from doing so. Instead, they usually say, "you know, I should too." And they probably should.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-02, 23:25
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Well said Razzle.

I always enjoy your insight on scientific studies

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 08:39

Stats: 172/170/135
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thanks to one and all for your replies. I feel secure again with your support. I surely would have given up weeks ago without the support of all of you here on lowcarb.ca!

I really like the idea of just describing my diet as no starch, no sugar. Simple, and doesn't bring up big story lines, for me or people. That's great, and that's how I'll describe my woe if it becomes necessary to discuss it again.

And, WILL visit that trainer again when I feel like my body shows the results!

May your day be filled with laughter,

Kathryn
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-02-02, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: restricted carb Paleo
Stats: 180/124/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 124%
Default Re: Personal Trainer casts doubts

Quote:
Originally posted by Kathryn
decalcification, setting me up for serious osteoporosis [I'm 47] and, anylow carb weight loss being the result of "merely water weight" or "burningup lean tissues and organs".

I call BS.

I developed the first signs of osteo (several cavities and five cracked teeth) at 30 from following the food pyramid's guidelines. Grains caused an autoimmune reaction (for me) that slowly clipped off the villi lining my digestive tract, severely limiting its surface area and giving me symptoms for years that mimicked IBS - but were really signs of malnourishment. Around as many as one in 179 people (according to a study that will be published this year) might be affected like this to some degree by cereal grains.

I've never heard of a lack of carbs doing something like that to a person.

...And the water-weight loss comment is just ignorance of the process.