Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-09-02, 23:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/135/133
BF:help?
Progress: 90%
Question Starting Induction with no Appetite

Im not sure if this is the right place for this question (or even how to ask it!), but would love to see if anyone as any feedback or suggestions. Sorry, its a bit long...

Im wondering how the appetite suppresion of Induction would be for someone who has very little appetite to begin with (probably due to a "dead" metabolism).

Because of my success with Akins, my bf has decided that he really wants to give it a try. He got in the habit of eating very poorly in med school and throughout his residency (48 hour shifts, being on call for weeks at a time) so that he is accustomed to drinking coffee (a ton of sugar, cup of milk and some coffee!) in the morning and nothing usually all day, or for two days. Or (this is so bad), 6-7 donuts, a dozen cookies or a large Mexican meal and then falling asleep - then not eating again for a few days. His whole food intake is caffeine, sugar and heavy carbs. Now that his working hours are normal (8-5, no calls) there is no reason for this erratic feeding - its just habit.

I have worried about him because his health seems to have really deteriated over the past 2 years (how can anyone keep that up?): his face has gotten bloated looking, he has constant dark circles under his eyes, cant sleep at night, but cannot stay awake during day and naps on his lunch break and after coming home. He complains of constant fatigue, no energy, and a lingering mild depression. While I have at times considered these symptoms to be part of a sugar/carb addiction, I hadnt tried to prod him to try this WOL. But, glad that my results have prompted him to try it on his own, I am handing over all my Atkins inspiration!

But, since he has hardly an appetite now, Im wondering what will happen when he goes to induction? Most people find their appetite is reduced...Im sorta hoping his appetite will be revived, that maybe his metabolism will be "woken up." Has anyone else with this type of prior eating situation or sugar addiciton?

Any comments would be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 00:29
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

What about a plan like Protein Power where you start off at a higher level of carbs? There is no "induction" period, but you feel the same withdrawal symptoms before the burst of energy sets in. Aand there is the appetite suppressing effect of ketosisi although the Eades don't make an issue out of ketosis.

Schwarzbein came to mind as a programme, but I am thinking that it would be easy for you to eat together if you follow similar programs.

It would probably be best if he ate 6 smaller meals a day and didn't go for any longer than 3 hours without eating to keep his metabolism active. He could also have protein shakes - you can get unflavoured whey protein powder and create your own - instead of 2 or 3 of the meals to get protein into his system.

The right thing to do now would be to focus on re-balancing his metabolism before anything else. He's making the right choice.

Karen