Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 15:06

Plan: pp
Stats: 149/136/125
BF:
Progress: 54%
Question what does ecc mean?

I am sill confused about the fiber content and ecc. I don;t think that I am getting enough veggies then if I haven't taken into account the deduction for the fiber. I am on ppp and am allowed 10g carb per meal. Could someone please explain to me about the fiber and the ecc. Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 15:56

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Toni

I am on PPP too and I really enjoy it. You can eat quite a lot of low-starch vegetables when you only count the ecc. This stands for Effective Carbohydrate Count. The idea is that fibre is indigestible and will not affect your insulin output, so therefore you don't have to count it as carbs.

For example, one cup of frozen cauliflower has 6.2 g. of carbohydrates, but 3 of those grams are fibre. Therefore, your cup of cauliflower only cost you 3.2 grams of Effective Carbohydrates and you and still have 6.8 more grams in that meal. Add a few cups of romaine lettuce, and since the 3 grams of carbohydrates are almost all fibre, you still have almost your whole remaining carb allowance to use, so you can afford some ranch dressing, chopped eggs, real bacon bits, and a couple of roasted pecans on top.

This is a very healthy way to do low-carb because fibre is really important to your digestive system. When you see what a bargain the high-fibre vegetables are, you want to eat lots of them.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-01, 16:05

Plan: pp
Stats: 149/136/125
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Thanks kay

Thank you Kay for explaining that to me. I can see that I was not eating enough veggies now. I guess I am going to have to do some recalculations. Good to know that I can eat more veggies now. Thanks again for making that clear. Toni
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-01, 00:07

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

You're welcome and good luck! You're smart to get at those extra pounds while the numbers are low.