Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 06:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 218/198/168 Female 1.5m
BF:
Progress: 40%
Smile HELP WITH PINS & NEEDLES IN LEGS

Hello everyone and Greetings from Scotland

I would be grateful for any help regarding a sensation I am feeling in my legs and feet.

I am mid way through day 10 of induction and for the last day or so I have been experiencing an odd sensation in my legs. It starts in my lower back, sort of rumbly, and goes down my leg in a wave. It is not exactly pins & needles, more of a rippling sensation down my legs to the soles of my feet. If you imagine sitting with your feet underneath you just before it gets pins & needsles that's what it is. It is not painful at all but odd all the same.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar and, if so, what you did to alleviate it.

Many thanks

Irene
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 07:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Irene

Are you taking any supplements ? What you just described makes me think a possible magnesium / calcium deficiency. Often you get cramps (especially at night) but you can also experience numbness and tingling if it's severe.

If you are not taking either supplement it would be my first course of action.

The RDA for Calcium is 1000-1500 depending on age and sex. It is 400-600 for magnesium, also dependant on age and sex. You can usually get both minerals in one supplement in a ratio of 2:1 (333mg calcium / 167 mg magnesium). Be sure that calcium comes in a chelated form (Citrate/Malate etc) - do not get calcium carbonate from oyster shells (it is no well absorbed). Take 2 or 3 the pills throughout the day (one with each of your meals) and save one for an hour before bed - they have a soothing effect.

You may also need potassium if you're not taking it. Due to the natural diuretic effect of LCing salts are lost from the body along with the water; potassium is one that should be replaced. General consensus is to supplement with 400mg a day for the duration of fat loss. Supplementing once in maintenance may be necessary on very hot days or on days when intense exercise is likely. Potassium can be obtained in pill form or from numerous salt substitute such as "NuSalt" or "Morton's Light Salt", a potassium salt-substitite. 1/8th of a teaspoon of NuSalt provides over 500mg of potassium. You should always be well hydrated when taking potassium, and if you suffer from a heart condition or are on medication for blood pressure or a heart condition you should consult your doctor first before supplementing with potassium.

Potassium deficiency is more an issue of feeling dizzy, fatigued and 'blah' - it's the lack of magnesium / calcium that leads to the muscular symptoms.

Hope this helps,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 12:27

BF:

Hi there and thank you for your response.

I am not on any supplements (awfully expensive here) but if it looks like this sensation will carry on or get worse I will do it.

Although on day 10 of induction (with no major cheats) I have only lost one pound. I cannot understand it. Perhaps this is not the plan for me.

I reckon it is a calcium deficiency. It has been so hot in Scotland this past 2 weeks it is no wonder. I shall visit the health food shop tomorrow.

Thanks

Irene
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 13:35

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by irene1703
I reckon it is a calcium deficiency. It has been so hot in Scotland this past 2 weeks it is no wonder. I shall visit the health food shop tomorrow.
Good job, Irene. But be sure you get magnesium with that calcium, as it's more likely the cause of the problem, although the two do work in tandem.

I had a peek at your journal and I see you've been getting some good advice from Anne. One thing did occur to me, with all the sausages and diary you're eating, how much water are you drinking? Coupled with the heat your body could be holding onto that water if you're not drinking enough. You need a minimum 64 oz a day, or 2 litres, more in hot weather.

And don't worry about going slightly over 20g of carbs with veggies - they are good for you and shouldn't negatively impact on anything, other than boredom!

-Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-03, 14:21

BF:

Cheers Nat, thanks for helping.

I was caught in a sausage rut this week. They are so easy to cook at work. Breakfast is the hardest part for thinking of what to eat. Must try eggs.

I am loving this Atkins way of eating but the weight loss is rubbish so far. 10 days and 1 lb off. I expected much more. But I feel good. No more heartburn.

All help much appreciated

Thanks
Irene
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 17:14

Stats: 198/172/163 Female 69.5
BF:28.5%/25.3%/23%
Progress: 74%

Can you buy stuff from the United States online?
Puritan's Pride has reasonalbe prices, good sales, http://www.puritan.com/,
and they do ship internationally. although it takes awhile.
http://www.puritan.com/house/Custom...F91C5E#shipping

Good luck.