Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 11:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/229/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Atkins Accel

Does anyone have any experience with taking Atkins Accel? Is it any good, does it help, is it safe? I know it has caffeine in it, but yet says consult your doctor if you are on a caffein reduced diet... well Atkins is supposed to have no caffeine, so that confuses me that they sell a product with caffeine in it... Just wondered because my fiance picked some up at the store and thought it might help him, but he said he took it once and it didn't make him feel very good... but then again, on the box it showed that it was good to take after induction, and he hasn't really even done induction, he's been eating better, but still is not totally Atkins... so, there might be a conflict there... But... this is the end of my induction... was wondering if it would be helpful for me to take to get the weight off faster? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated! =)

Moonshea =)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 11:57

Stats: 364/338/220 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 18%

What are the ingrediants? Could you type them out? Thanks.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 14:49

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I tried the Accel and the Dieters Advantage and did not notice that it helped me any with the weight loss. I lost no more on it than I was losing without it. Others may have a different experience. The Accel says the caffeine in it is equal to a cup of coffee and I too was confused about the contradiction of it being in there when Dr. Atkins recommended that it not be used. Someone on here suggested in another thread that the company had come out with a lot of stuff since his death that he might not have approved of. I don't know if that is true but it makes sense doesn't it?

Also, it was reported here that the caffeine could spike blood sugar thus triggering cravings. Others say that the caffeine speeds up your metabloism but as I said, it didn't help me personally. BTW, I did not take it during induction.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 17:03
Registered Member

BF:

I drank caffeine last time I did Atkins, 3 years ago, because I thought it was just not recommended due to water weight gain, but I didn't have a prob with that, so I drank it. It wasn't until I had stopped and later viewed his VHS tape, that I discovered the reason why he said caffeine was a no-no. It's because it causes an insulin reaction. But, caffeine didn't seem to bother me much back then... but... anyways, here is what's in Atkins Accel:

Niacin (as niacinamide) 15mg
Chromium (as chromium dinicotinate glycinate) 100mcg
Green tea leaf extract (provides 50mg caffeine and 90mg epigallocatechin gallate) 600mg
Accelerator Blend (providing 25mg total methylxanthines): Yerba mate leaf extract, Brazillian guarana seed extract and Teobroma cacau seed extract 166.7mg
Thyroplex Blend: Guggul extract (Commiphora mukul), bladderwrack kelp, DL-phenylalanine and L-tyrosine 50mg

Other ingredients:
Dicalcium phosphate, microcystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, steric acid, magnesium stearate, silica and food glaze.

Caution: This product contains naturally-occuring caffeine, approximately equal to one cup of coffee per serving. Consult your physician before using if you are on a caffeine-restricted diet.

On the front it says it's a Dietary Supplement, Ephedrine-Free, Enhances Fat Loss, and Supports Normal Thyroid Function - but those last 2 statements have not been evaluated by the FDA.

Hope this helps.

Moonshea =)
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 17:08
Registered Member

BF:

And yes, I've heard the same thing, that a lot of products have been rolled out since Dr. Atkins' death... that I'm sure he would not approved of... they are just trying to cash in on the low-carbing frenzy and make a buck... not actually help people... such a shame... but, you just have to be conscious and read the labels and make sure what you are taking or eating is right for you and is really safe to eat on this woe. =)

Moonshea =)
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 17:31

Plan: atkins, modified
Stats: 220/170/150 Female 5'5
BF:40%/32%/20%
Progress: 71%

I've been using it for the last week, the first day I hated it! Made me pretty sick and jittery. I continued it for the week and felt great. I was able to lose 2lbs after not losing any for a month. However; I'm not sure if it was due to this or an increase in cardio. Either way - I'm down another 2.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 17:45
Registered Member

Stats: 160/150/125 Female 5 ft. 1 in
BF:
Progress: 29%

I called the 800 number about the caffine and the Customer Service person said there was not enough caffine in the pills to effect anything, it was less than a cup of regular coffee. But that was "company person"
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 09:10

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Accel was out before Dr. A passed away. I took it for the first two months or so I was on Atkins and lost well, but may have lost well without it. Despite the fact that Atkins Nutritionals is in the business to make money, I still trust the Atkins logo.

L
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 09:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/184/129 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I took Accel, and didn't notice any difference whatsoever.
Dieter's aid does help control your appetite, it works, but then imho it defeats the purpose. We are suppose to be learning to control portion sizes on our own.

Bottom line, I decided to save my money and use it on new clothing instead of the pills.
Mary
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 09:43
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-OWL
Stats: 201/162.3/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I took Accel when I was stalled for about 3 weeks. I must say that it helped. It did help cut back my portions and I started losing again. My portions are still smaller than they were before I took the Accel but not as small as when I took the Accel.

Bette