Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 11:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default I'm confused about some food carb counts - pecans, pumpkin seeds?

I'm confused about some carb counts that are magnitudes of order different.

Pecans, dry or oil roasted, with salt, according the carb counter here and at fit day are somewhere around 4 gr carbs ECC for 100grs

The same nuts in the Netzer book, and on the label of the pack I just bought, are between 18 and 21 ECC carbs per 100 grams. These are plain ordinary cooking Pecans, president's Choice no name brand, unsalted.

How can there be such a variation, and what counts should I use?
=================
I'm also confused about pumpkin seeds.

Roasted seeds with the shell on are 53.9 gr carbs ECC for 100grams according to the Netzer book and the the counter here.

Roasted seeds with NO shell are 7 in Netzer for 100 gr, and around 9 at the counter here, and 0 carbs if they are cooked, dry heat.

That means the best pumpkin seeds to buy are the ones that are already shelled, or to make your own and shell them. How can there be almost a 40 gr difference in ECC just for the tiny little shells around the pumpkin seeds?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 20:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I usually believe the USDA Database and this is what it says for 100 grams plain pecans:

Carbohydrate, by difference 13.86 gr
Fiber, total dietary 9.6 gr

In the Netzer book, 1 oz. with shell is 15.3 and the fiber is N/A.
1 oz. shelled is 5.1, and the fiber is N/A.

So what I assume is that the fiber is included in the first instance. But you're right about the wild variations in the USDA Database depending on how the seed is described. It seems like the fiber is included in the carb count, which is correct and has not been calculated in the fiber count.

For 100 gr of kernels it says:

Carbohydrate, by difference g 17.81
Fiber, total dietary g 3.9

But, we're no further ahead! All we know is that the fiber has not been subtracted from the whole seeds.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:44

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Confusion abounds

Because of the confusion and the worldwide inconsistancy of whether fibre is in or out. I asked myself. How do they count the carbs anyway? what is it? what do you actually count?

I discovered much to my amazement that one of the commonest methods is not to count carbs directly at all. The following extract explains:-

"Carbohydrate, when present, was determined as the difference between 100 and the sum of the percentages of water, protein, total lipid (fat), ash, and, when present, alcohol.

Total carbohydrate values include total dietary fiber. Total dietary fiber content was determined by the following enzymatic-gravimetric methods: 985.29 and 991.43 of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists (1995). "

There were then further methodologies for sugars.

This seems to explain why there are different carb counts. It is the precision to which the analysis of all the other elements that gives you the carb count

Last edited by rustpot : Tue, Feb-05-02 at 11:54.