Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 21:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 195/195/135 Female 5'1
BF:Blubber
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Grocery Shopping today.....

Did my weekly grocery shopping today, and I got some questions! BTW, I am still on induction......

Since I began, i have been very label concious........However, I am a bit paranoid that even though it says X amt is a serving and it has X amount of carbs, the ingridients don't seem to match whats listed.....

Today I bought a bag of Tyson Hot chicken wings....Serving size says 4, carb count is 1. OK? Well, I dont know

Ingredients list modified corn startch as one of the ingridients.....Mostly hot sauce ingredients and it says its blanched in veggi oil. So, I am assuming it is ok, cause the carbs check out?......I have tried so hard to ready lables, but i dunno, sometimes i just feel like when the ingridients say sugar, but carb count is one, its somehow not ok....
I got some interesting things, I am really aiming to cook meals, so i know whats going in it........

Now, I know everyone says they eat eggs and bacon religously, but the bacon i find has nitrates and I know they are bad =(
If i keep eating the bacon with them, is it totally deadly!!!??

Oh, and one more thing
I know we can have "whipped cream" but today I checked the label on the redi whip chocolate whip cream and the nutri facts are identical to the regular......1 Carb per 2 tbs =D Legal?!

Well, just some things that have been on my mind today

Hope everyone is doing well today!

Luv,

Toe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 21:57

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%
Talking

Hi there

The cream - when I refer to whipped cream I mean Whipping Cream, not ready whip or anything that comes in a can, the stuff in the carton like thick milk is what I use ... that is just pure cream no sugar nothing added, you then using an electric beater and beat it up. yum!!!!

The wings.... I think they sound fine, considering that ingredient is in the sauce then there can't be too much of it in there, maybe next time you might try buying the plain wings and flavouring them yourself - that way you know whats going on - check on threads in the kitchen area like Hot Foom Wings and Buffalo Wings .... Double Yum - especially those parmasen cheese encrusted ones with a blue cheese dipping sauce

Bacon & nitrates - hmmmm if only I could find bacon down here without nitrates in it .... but I havn't managed to yet but since I only eat bacon once every 2 days or so it isn't what I consider to be a problem.... So personally I don't worry about it...

So don't stress about things, your shopping seems fine and don't worry I've turned into a label reading fiend when I go shopping, each trip takes twice as long as it did pre-LC...

Enjoy & good luck

Fiona

Last edited by FionaC : Fri, Mar-28-03 at 22:01.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 22:13

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 140/123/125 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:?/20%/18%
Progress: 113%
Default Those darn nitrates!!

Ya' know, nitrates are in all deli meats. It's the additive that allows the meat to keep it's pink, fresh hue. Seeing as I can't seem to eat sandwich meat without bread, I feel that the nitrates I take in on my "occassional" bacon breakfast is FAR less than what I consumed when I was a wheat-eater!

The chicken wings sound fine. As long as sugar is listed beyond the 4th ingredient, and the carb count is low, they should be fine. There is trace amounts of sugar in alot of things here in Canada, and I have found that I just have to choose my products wisely.

Good luck, and happy cooking!!

Joy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 00:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 221.8/221.8/155 Female 5’7”
BF:
Progress: 0%

Do you have a Trader Joe's where you're at? My DH just bought some nitrate free bacon there. We haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure we'll like it. Check out this thread for more info on bacon.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 01:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I, too, have not been able to find nitrate-free bacon in my area. Wish there were Trader Joe's, Wild Oats markets, or Whole Foods in NJ. At least I do not consume a lot of bacon, so I think the amount of nitrates ARE not deadly.

Whipping cream is the heavy cream in cartons next to the half and half in the dairy section. If you can, buy it a quart at a time, as that is cheaper and it's used a lot in recipes.

The wings sound fine. As another poster mentioned here, try to buy plain frozen wings (harder than it sounds, I know) and sauce them yourself. Again, you'll be controlling the cooking process.

Last edited by paradise : Sat, Mar-29-03 at 01:13.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-29-03, 07:31
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally posted by FionaC
Hi there

So don't stress about things, your shopping seems fine and don't worry I've turned into a label reading fiend when I go shopping, each trip takes twice as long as it did pre-LC...

Enjoy & good luck

Fiona

Takes me THRICE as long as I have to stop and put on reading glasses each time I check a label - I sometimes think I am making the store staff nervous - maybe they think I am an inspector or something I am so picky and probably appear to be taking notes as I read lables and check off items on my list