Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 14:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%
Default Need some help with bike abbreviations

Hi folks,
We just dragged an exercise bike upstairs from our basement that was left here from before we bought the house. It is OLD and heavy, probably about 70-80 pounds. Anyway, it has a couple of charts on it with some abbreviations. Can someone explain them to me? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Nm Watts Rpm

Kj

Thanks,
Alli
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 14:39

Stats: 263/219/150 Female 5'6"
BF:not done yet
Progress: 39%

Watts would be your power output, to achieve the cadence you are currently working at. Rpm's would be your cadence, or the number of revolutions the pedal makes per minute. Clueless about the other, though, but hope this helps- if not, can we lure you over to the darkside and an actual bike?

sen
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 14:41

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

dWell, RPM is revolutions per minute. That means, how many times your foot makes one complete pedal revolution in a minute.
Watts is watts, the energy expended, I think. I have never paid attention to it on any exercise machine.
Nm? I have no clue
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 17:25

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

Kj - kilojoules - a measure of energy
Nm - Newton-Meters - a measure torque

similar but not the same:
"In SI, the unit of torque, the torque exerted by a force of 1 newton acting at a perpendicular distance of 1 meter from the specified axis of rotation.
Note that although a joule is a newton meter, a newton meter is not a joule. The force in the definition of a joule acts in the direction along which the meter is measured, not at right angles to it. "

so, in the context of a measurement for a cycle, my guess would be Kj would be looking at the rider's energy used (like a calorie counter) and N-m would look at torque produced in turning the crank - esp. since you have watts to determine the power produced

Last edited by LisaS : Fri, Apr-23-04 at 18:29.