Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/213.4/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Backpacking on Atkins

Hey folks!
I was curious what other peoples experiences were while backpacking or camping on Atkins? My previous non-LC backpacking food consisted of LOTS of GORP & Chex mix, Ramen noodles, instant rice, hot dogs in tortillas (flat foods are good for packing), but these are pretty much a no-no now.

I have a trip coming up, or at least I hope I do, if I can figure out what I can eat.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:21

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

My thought is while camping, the goal should be to maintain (if you lose some weight, great!). Do the best you can to stick to Atkins, the camping trip should not be an excuse to derail your WOE. To pack for LC snacks: nuts and LC bars. Although I would never advocate hot dogs as regular fare, hot dogs in LC tortillas. I'm sure there is a recipe on this board for your own GORP. Since you can take "instant" stuff, would you consider taking an LC hot cereal? They are full of fiber and protein and fill you up in the mornings. Could you take some string cheese? Would you think about taking peeled hard-boiled eggs stored in zip-locs (so they don't smell up everything)? Good luck on your LC journey (if you do go camping, you should!)!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

I think it's still critical to get your veggies and would recommend some gladware with a wee ice pak in there; same with hard boiled eggs. For meat when backpacking, I like the tins of corned beef. Pretty high in fat and they open with a pull ring. Bring a little packet of mayo or mustard and it's delicious warmed over the fire or straight from the can at room temp. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 23:38

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Backpacking on atkins

How timely of you to post this now -- have been wondering the same thing. Obviously the old starchy sugary things are out. Low carb tortillas should be good - in fact they even seem to keep better than the highcarb ones. Right now, I'm thinking small cans of spam. Downside, you have to pack the empty can out. But the spam is pretty calorie-dense, so it might be an ok trade. Likewise the little envelopes of tuna you can get at the supermarket these days. Depending on the climate, hard cheese will keep for a while. Eggs, either fresh or powdered would make a lot of things besides breakfasts. Last week I went on a trip with some high-carb friends, and it worked out fine. On the way back, they were doing their gorp and sugary stuff, and I found that an Atkins bar was good for quite a few miles. But I know that there is a long way to go here, and there will be some pioneering necessary.By the way, it is now known ( by some at least) that the expensive freeze dried stuff will not really keep you going long. Ray Jardine and others realized that there's just not enough calories in the stuff for sustained exertion. But then, Ray recently became a convert to some kind of raw-food vegetarianism - started a PCT hike, discovered he just couldn't do it on that diet. So he's probably back to the high-high carb trail food, which works for him. But we will have to find what works for us. what I have realized is that pre LC, I was always having to grab another dried apricot or whatever. Now, a moderate portion of protein/fat (ie meat) and NO starch, just a high fiber vegetable, and I'm good for hours and hours. Which ought to be good on the trail.