Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 10:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 260/230/150
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question Yogurt Question

I like yogurt but I can't seem to find sugar-free yogurt that is not also fat-free (which adds corn-starch to make up for the lack of fat). Yes, I know I can buy plain yogurt and mix in my own sweetener, flavor and fruit. But, is there a company out there which sells regular yogurt, with flavor and with fruit and without sugar? Or, am I just dreaming?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 10:07

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Blue Bunny makes Splenda yogurt. Good luck finding it though! I have not seen flavored, sugar free yogurt, except aspartame sweetened. Your best bet is to get a good high fat, high bacteria plain yogurt and mix it up yourself. Maybe get little tupperware containers to tote it around if that's the issue?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 11:50

BF:

WalMart Superstores carry Blue Bunny Ice Cream (with splenda). I'll check there for the yogurt.

It's not a matter of containers. I'm just lazy.

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 11:54
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Angela I once checked and blue bunny has with fruit and low fat ??? Those extra carbs scare me to death.

Unless of course I could be wrong!?!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 12:04

Lisa, you might be right. My "good luck finding it" line indicates I never have! She said she wanted fruit though. And low fat with yogurt isn't necessarily bad, as long as it's just skim and they don't add starch and sugar for consistency. Low fat dairy products often have the same amount of carbs, just less calories from the reduced fat. It really depends HOW they take the fat out.

Yogurt is a HOT TOPIC today!

Heather, stop being lazy. I love my own yogurt... put a little da vinci and cinnamon, or some strawberry protein powder and frozen berries... yum!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 13:31

BF:

Welllll, with the summer coming on, getting nice fresh fruit will be easier. My mom loves farmer's markets and I know she'll get me some fruit. I firmly believe in limiting fruit intake but a few berries are good for the soul, the urinary tract and are very high in vitamins.

So, I'll get some plain, full fat, yogurt and mix my own.

BTW - Angela - yogurt does have more carbs than one would expect but the enzymes cancel out the carbs. I'm remembering this from reading PP some time back. I had the same concern with their yogurt shakes. I can't remember the exact chemistry or the cancelation ratio but I do remember that yogurt is not nearly as bad as the carb count may lead you to believe.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 13:38
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

You are right .... I am just so paranoid about everything low fat. I saw one blue bunny yogurt things for 30 carbs and dropped the container and ran. LOL!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 14:13

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatherAF
BTW - Angela - yogurt does have more carbs than one would expect but the enzymes cancel out the carbs. I'm remembering this from reading PP some time back. I had the same concern with their yogurt shakes. I can't remember the exact chemistry or the cancelation ratio but I do remember that yogurt is not nearly as bad as the carb count may lead you to believe.

Oh boy do I know! Check out this thread: Eat that full fat yogurt!

Enjoy that yogurt, girl!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 14:14

Quote:
Originally posted by lkonzelman
You are right .... I am just so paranoid about everything low fat. I saw one blue bunny yogurt things for 30 carbs and dropped the container and ran. LOL!

Hehehehehheeheh, great image!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 17:40

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

So in the US does it actually list the live cultures on the yogurt? when i was looking at the packaging in the store yesterday, on Canadian labels, it just lists them as 'active cultures'... Most of the yogurts i see say they are 3.2% fat (i saw one that was 7.9% but it was $8!!!)... around 10-16g carbs per cup... So which one do i go for? I really miss yogurt, and despite the fact there are so many threads on the yogurt, i don't want to screw up and get the wrong kind (have made that mistake with several foods so far). Can anyone help? (Skamito - you seem to be the resident expert!)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 18:17

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

faeriegirl : Check out the thread I started today re yoghurt

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...threadid=100659

I was so glad to hear from Liberty!!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 18:37

Quote:
Originally posted by faeriegirl
So in the US does it actually list the live cultures on the yogurt? when i was looking at the packaging in the store yesterday, on Canadian labels, it just lists them as 'active cultures'... Most of the yogurts i see say they are 3.2% fat (i saw one that was 7.9% but it was $8!!!)... around 10-16g carbs per cup... So which one do i go for? I really miss yogurt, and despite the fact there are so many threads on the yogurt, i don't want to screw up and get the wrong kind (have made that mistake with several foods so far). Can anyone help? (Skamito - you seem to be the resident expert!)
Heh... resident yogurt expert kind of fell on my lap. I just like yogurt and want to get the word out! The general rule is to subtract 8g of carbs from the yogurt. It's fine as long as it says active cultures, a lot of brands tend to not be too descriptive. They probably don't even know what's in it! The fat level doesn't really matter all that much as long as they don't add things to make it fat free. So if you find a good one at 12g a cup, you can count it as 4! Pretty neat, eh? I love yogurt and it's very good for you, so this is a bonus.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 18:44
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi Faeriegirl,

In Vancouver, you can get Stonyfield Farms, which has a whopping six live cultures all listed on the label. It's thick and tasty. You have to get plain. It's available in full fat (yummy) or low fat. Either is fine as there are no added starches or anything.
I found it at Choices, $5.99 for the big size.

But now I buy Olera Farms from Capers or Produce City. It comes in a small ice cream bucket size for the same price as the Stonyfield, so much better deal. It's good and has 4 active cultures.

You can also get Olympic plain full fat which has only two active cultures but is a bit cheaper.

It's great to have a bowl of yogurt for brekkie or in a protein shake. Yum. Makes a nice change from eggs.

Kaillean
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 20:18

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II IS-BOAG
Stats: 174/155/120 Female 5'2"
BF:34%
Progress: 35%
Default homemade fyi

i just treated myself to a salton yogurt maker - it really is only a warmer that keeps the milk at correct temp until yogurt is done. i paid 14.99 + shipping for it online. i used to make mine in the oven but it was a pain, checking every 15-30 mins to make sure temp was correct. its cool where i live and yogurt needs a warmish climate if you don't have a heat source for it.

so i am thrilled with my little machine - and i like having the control over getting as much lactose out as i want and making it half heavy cream and half whole milk. commercial companies add extra lactose (why?) and that is why its hi in carbs compared to homemade. the longer it sits, the more lactose is removed by the live bacteria.

ally