Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 23:05

Plan: Atkins...hp/hf
Stats: 333/313.2/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question HELP! I have such a cold and sore throat, what can i take??

hello all....im suffering from a cold today and feel crappy as hell.....whats a good remedy for a cough, sore throat and overall stuffiness that doesnt have sugar in it?? i dont even know if cough syrup has a lable on it saying how many carbs are in it....hmmm...any home remedy ideas?? Im desperate!! we're planning to go out to dinner tomorrow night ( never fails) and im sick....crapola!!! I appreciate any input at all....THANX!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 23:51

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

When I have a sore throat/cold- I use sugar free cough drops. They help--I also drink hot lemonade minus the sugar and replace the sweet with some salt. You can also gargle with salt water--that helps too. Lastly--I rub my chest/ neck and under my nose with vick-vaporub when I go to bed at night and also take some tylenol/asprin/or motrin. Hope this helps--I know some gals take those zinc lozenges but I really don't know much about them. Alice
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 08:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

You could ask your pharmacist what would be good for your symtoms in the diabetic section. Also lots of rest and lots of liquids.

Lozengers: Halls has a sugar free, Robitussin has robitussy (diabetic formulas) and NICE is a sugar free lozenger.

Maybe some hot teas with lemon and chicken broth would help sooth your throat.

Get better soon.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 10:34
Out of service...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Definitely gargle some warm salt water, that really helps the sore throat.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 10:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

One word: Buckley's. I'm pretty sure it has to be imported from Canada, so you might have to call around, but I swear by this stuff. It's the most god-awful thing you will ever taste in your life - it tastes like hair dye mixed with Pine sol - but dang, it works. (And there's no sugar. )
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 16:37

Stats: 190/147/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I just went through a bad cold. I found Ricola Cough Drops. I believe they have 2 different sugar free kinds, Echinacea and Original Herbs.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 20:45

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Robitussin has a pill form (liquid gel type) that is for coughs and Dayquil has the same thing in different formulas. I've been fighting the same thing for 2 weeks now and finally went to the doctor yesterday. I hope you feel better!

Last edited by Lori H : Fri, Nov-14-03 at 20:47.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 21:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Mix 1 tsp. table salt with 8 oz. of warm water and gargle with it (don't swallow! ). My DH swears by this for a sore throat. I, OTOH, have never been able to manage it because gargling anything makes me gag. I take Ibuprofen (Motrin) for the sore throat, sugar free cough drops and Robitussin liquigels or Diabetic Tussin (sugar-free). Lots of people hate the smell of this, but Vicks vaporub cream does wonders for a cough and helps with the congestion as well; just wear a loose shirt or top while you have it on (I usually only put it on at night before bed when I need to use it).
Hope you feel better soon!