Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 19:35
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%
Default I have psoriasis...

I have psoriasis. It is on the palms of my hands and the soles of my feet. Exercise makes them leak and bleed. I asked the doctor why and he said that exercise WILL make them worse. So how am I supposed to exercise to lose weight? He shrugged his shoulders.

So, I figured if I could lose some of the weight first I would be able to start exercising without hurting myself. I found Atkins because I knew I had only one chance to lose enough of the weight to, HOPEFULLY, be able to start exercising. Okay, so I lost like 12 lbs the first week, hit 15 lbs down, bounced back up 3 lbs and haven’t shown ANY further weight loss in a month. It sucks! The last time I was on a diet, I watched the lbs melt off as I was able to exercise! My fav was powerwalking 4+ miles during lunch hour. Oh, for those days past. I HATE this psoriasis! Now, just walking through my house is agony. It’s pernicious as all getout!!! It is getting better but today I had more damage because I took my daughter to the mall.

Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:26

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

does swimming bother your feet and hands? How about lifting weights? bicycling? Maybe check with your local YMCA or alternative and see if there are any suggestions they have.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 09:32

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

Do you take flax seed oil or fish oil? These are a couple of many supplements you can take for skin problems. I was just wondering if you've ever tried homeopathic remedies.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-03, 19:17
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

I do take flax seed oil, still haven't gotten the fish oil. I currently do tai chi (beginner) as it is the least stressful on my feet. Can't do weight lifting yet as the palms of my hands are affected as well. I also bought a yoga/pilates tape and have started with that as well....ow! LOL One day, it will all come together. Thank you for your reply.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 18:28

Plan: SBD
Stats: 183/152/145 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

Did your doctor explain WHY exercise will make your psoriasis worse? Is it the impact/abrasion against your skin or something else? I'm duking it out with allergy-related dermatitis on my hands and have found that sweat really irritates them, so it's almost better not to wear workout gloves for me.

You might want to explore some of The Firm floorwork tapes like Lower Body Sculpting, Sculpted Buns Hips & Thighs, and Lower Body Sculpt Vol 2. I'm a huge fan of The Firm and therefore terribly biased, but I find that even though these are "lie down and work out" tapes they still give me a good, strengthening workout. I'm sure there are other good mat workouts that I'm not familiar with. Have you searched at www.collagevideo.com?

Best of luck!