Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 06:15
~ReFINDing Terry~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Big Losers - Bruising?

I have a question for people who have lost a LOT of Weight. I have been noticing I have LOTS of bruises. I will get a big bruise on my arm or leg and not even remember having bumped it. Are any of you noticing this.

In the back of my mind, I think I remember reading something on the forum when I first started about this.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 06:30

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You should try taking a couple of GRAMS of Vitamin C for a few days. Then cut back to 1 gram. On LC diets, you don't have any sources of Vitamin C except your supplements, so it's important to take those. The vitamin keeps the walls of the capillaries from being so easily broken. Even an unnoticed bump can leave a big, dark bruise.

A gram = 1000 milligrams, so take 4 x 500 mg tablets, or 2 x 1000 mg. It will clear up and not happen any more after about 36 hours.

Apparently, the bodies of humans who eat no vitamin C can adapt to create a similar vitamin from fresh meat. That would include the Eskimo/Inuit of the Arctic and probably other people.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 22:14
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 225/220/175 Female 5ft 4in
BF:Don't know
Progress:
Default Bruises

TerryLynne, I have not lost a lot of weight yet but I have these marks I keep getting especially on my legs and inner thighs, they look like a bruise but i don't see how they could be they almost look like some one put out a cigar or something on my skin, they don't hurt but they are beginning to freak me out, does that sound anything like what you have?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-25-04, 23:04

Stats: 319/240/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

I get this problem all the time. Right now I have a bruise the size of a small fist on my thigh. It generally gets worse when i forget to take my Vitamin C suppliments. (I take 1000 mgrms a day). Calcium suppliments also seem to help. Also, drinking a lot of water, or upping my carb count by 5 grams helps if they get really bad and frequent.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 06:01
~ReFINDing Terry~

Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by frothybake
TerryLynne, I have not lost a lot of weight yet but I have these marks I keep getting especially on my legs and inner thighs, they look like a bruise but i don't see how they could be they almost look like some one put out a cigar or something on my skin, they don't hurt but they are beginning to freak me out, does that sound anything like what you have?
No, mine are just normal looking bruises. I don't know what you have going on. Maybe a trip to the Dr. would ease your mind?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 06:02

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

Yep...I'm always black and blue!!!!!