Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 07:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%
Unhappy I can't sleep

HI all,

I'm a 3rd week LC'er, and since I think I ate some stuff in the induction diet I wasn't supposed to (like nuts) and I haven't lost that much weight, I've been continuing Induction through the 3rd week and am being more rigorous about what I eat.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time getting to sleep these days, and I wake up several times at night (which I never used to do). The Atkins' official website says to consider moving from Induction if it disrupts your sleep patterns...but I'd like to know why it's happening and whether I can do anything about it besides moving to OWL.

Has anyone else had sleep problems on a LC diet? WHat do you think I should do?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 08:24

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Weird isn't it?

I know I went through this problem when I first started. When the fat burning kicked in I was bouncing off walls until 1 or 2 am. I think it took about a month to finally settle down to where I did actually start sleeping at night

I think it has to do with detoxing your system and having an unlimited supply of energy to burn. Your system gets so happy it isn't starving to death it revs up full blast.

I know before I started this WOL I would get so tired and fall asleep on the couch after eating a high carby meal. Now after eating I am ready to go, go, go.

Hang in there It may take a month or so for your body to settle down into it's new found resource. If you find that not sleeping at night is starting to effect you then add a few more carbs into your diet in order to offset.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 08:50
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Calcium Magnesium supplements also help some people get to sleep better.

Sleep Question

Here is a post that asks the same question.

I've found I sleep much better with my calcium magnesium supplement!

Elihnig
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 16:37

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Another thing you could try is some Chamomile tea about an hour before bed. I got my dad started on this after my mom passed away and he had trouble sleeping and now he swears by it. This seems to be fairly common, though, as I know several people who experienced the same thing.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-31-02, 07:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%
Talking Thanks so much

Hi again,
Thanks so much for your responses. I will go out and get magnesium supplements - I didn't realize calcium with D wasn't enough

Good luck to everyone on their respective new WOLs. I am definitely going to treat this as a change in the way I live rather than a diet - I think it's teh only way to do it right

See y'all around the boards!
Petra
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 08:57

Plan: somersize
Stats: 188/176/150
BF:
Progress: 32%

I am having the same problem. I was thinking it was a carb problem because of the seratonin. I was put on Serzone by my doc for sleeping problems before. Recently went off and started this lc wol. I was wondering if the loss of the carbs took down your seratonin production even more. If so I will never sleep again!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Carly
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-05-02, 19:43
Registered Member

Plan: 20-30 grams daily
Stats: 262/192/140
BF:
Progress: 57%
Smile

i dont have a problem staying asleep except for the million times i am up to the bathroom nightly but gotta love that water.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 10:02

Plan: somersize
Stats: 188/176/150
BF:
Progress: 32%

Staying asleep is not a problem, getting to sleep is! Man oh man am I a bear in the morning. I have lots of energy during the day, maybe it is too much? I used to fall asleep helping my kids with their homework before LCing, now I can't find enough things to keep me occupied. Go figure.............
Carly