Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 08:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%
Default concerned about tingly fingers

I was wondering if any of you have sufered from tingly fingers after excercise?

Yesterday I went to the gym and did my normal routine, but at the end of my session i noticed that i had a tingly feeling in my finger tips - like after you slap something really hard. The feeling lasted until i went to sleep, but was gone this morning.

The only thing different than normal was it was really hot, about 85 degrees. I drank my normal 1.5 ltres of water throughout my session. I did not have this feeling anywhere else in my body.

Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 10:24

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

This happens to me when I am on the elliptical for too long.. my toes will start to tingle, and also when I USED to do spin classes, my fingers would feel like they were gonna fall off.. I hate those damn classes.. Its just lack of circulation, so Im constantly curling my toes while Im on the elliptical..its kind of annoying, but better than not losing weight..
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 12:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Your tingling may have something to do with potassium deficincy. Tingles, muscle aches and cramps, light headedness and even fatique can be attributed to this.

Our LC diet is naturally diuretic and with that we have a tendency to lose salt and potassium. You guys/gals might want to try some supplements or the light salt (Nu-Salt I beleive) to see if it helps out.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 16:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/110
BF:
Progress: 50%

I agree with the potassium deficiency theory. I am a ballet dancer and I am dancing 8-10 hours a day. When I first started the Induction phase of Atkins, I experienced the tingly feeling in my fingers. I ignored it for awhile, but then I started feeling extremely lightheaded and very nauseated and starting seeing black spots after a hard workout. I did a little research and started taking potassium and magnesium supplements, which are not included in the majority of daily multivitamins. When you sweat a lot, you lose electrolytes, and although water helps immensely, your bodies needs that potassium replaced. Hopefully this helps you!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 16:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

I would just like to say a big thank you for your advise - I have been taking the 100 mg potassium for about 10 days now and although i still get that feeling a little in my toes if i am on the pedal machine thing, it is much improved!!!

If i want to increase my potassium could it do me any harm. when I tried to buy it over the counter at Boots he refused to sell it - i felt like a junky, he was concerned. Would it cause any ill health if i increases it to 2 tablets?