Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Beginner/Low Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   concerned about tingly fingers (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=56478)

juicyjacki Sat, Aug-17-02 08:02

concerned about tingly fingers

I was wondering if any of you have sufered from tingly fingers after excercise?

Yesterday I went to the gym and did my normal routine, but at the end of my session i noticed that i had a tingly feeling in my finger tips - like after you slap something really hard. The feeling lasted until i went to sleep, but was gone this morning.

The only thing different than normal was it was really hot, about 85 degrees. I drank my normal 1.5 ltres of water throughout my session. I did not have this feeling anywhere else in my body.

Should I be concerned?

Sterlina Sat, Aug-17-02 10:24

This happens to me when I am on the elliptical for too long.. my toes will start to tingle, and also when I USED to do spin classes, my fingers would feel like they were gonna fall off.. I hate those damn classes.. Its just lack of circulation, so Im constantly curling my toes while Im on the elliptical..its kind of annoying, but better than not losing weight.. :)

Talon Sat, Aug-17-02 12:24

Your tingling may have something to do with potassium deficincy. Tingles, muscle aches and cramps, light headedness and even fatique can be attributed to this.

Our LC diet is naturally diuretic and with that we have a tendency to lose salt and potassium. You guys/gals might want to try some supplements or the light salt (Nu-Salt I beleive) to see if it helps out.

Ballerina Tue, Aug-20-02 16:05

I agree with the potassium deficiency theory. I am a ballet dancer and I am dancing 8-10 hours a day. When I first started the Induction phase of Atkins, I experienced the tingly feeling in my fingers. I ignored it for awhile, but then I started feeling extremely lightheaded and very nauseated and starting seeing black spots after a hard workout. I did a little research and started taking potassium and magnesium supplements, which are not included in the majority of daily multivitamins. When you sweat a lot, you lose electrolytes, and although water helps immensely, your bodies needs that potassium replaced. Hopefully this helps you!

juicyjacki Thu, Sep-05-02 16:09

I would just like to say a big thank you for your advise - I have been taking the 100 mg potassium for about 10 days now and although i still get that feeling a little in my toes if i am on the pedal machine thing, it is much improved!!!

If i want to increase my potassium could it do me any harm. when I tried to buy it over the counter at Boots he refused to sell it - i felt like a junky, he was concerned. Would it cause any ill health if i increases it to 2 tablets?