Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 17:25

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Afraid

Afraid to eat ONE meal without any fiber - for fear of constipation. I eat up to 4 times a day...I always look to see if I have some (not tons) lc fiber in my meal/veggies, very limited fruit, very limited high fiber - no sugar cereal. It's crazy, but I wonder, if I just had veggies for lunch and dinner and ate meat/cheese otherwise...would I be in "trouble"? I'm prone to D not C! Yet I worry.
Have thought perhaps I eat too much fiber? Perhaps.

Your habits/thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 17:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/160/143 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 26%

I don't think you HAVE to eat fibre at every meal in order to stay "regular".
As long as you are getting enough fibre in your diet you should be fine.

The thing is that you should spread your carbs throughout the day and they contain the fibre so you should naturally get some fibre with every meal.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 18:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Eat to much fiber? Well unless you are getting tons of it I seriously doubt you are getting too much

Quote:
the National Cancer Institute, recommends 20 to 30 grams of fiber per day with an upper limit of 35 grams. For this list of fiber sources, the Human Nutrition Information Service, along with the Food and Drug Administration, decided to use a level of at least 2 grams of dietary fiber per serving.
http://www.hoptechno.com/book29q.htm

Quote:
Daily Dose
There is no current Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) for fiber. However, experts agree that a daily dose of 25 to 35 grams is beneficial. To get the fiber your body needs:

Try to choose foods with two grams or more of dietary fiber per servings, or choose foods that are the least processed.

Eat four or more servings from the fruit and vegetable group and four or more from the bread and cereal group.

Remember that cooking may slightly decrease the fiber content of foods; freezing, canning and other preservation methods have little effect.

What about too much fiber?
Excessive consumption-more than 35 grams per day-can cause poor absorption or calcium, iron, zinc and magnesium.

http://www.straubhealth.org/healthtopics/fiber.htm
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 19:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

One meal that is low/no fiber probably won't mean instant constipation or diarrhea. Really...your body does adjust to a new level of fiber intake if you go gradually and don't make drastic changes.
Still...eating high fiber veggies isn't a bad idea and there are other ways of getting extra fiber in your diet as well; supplements and ground flax seed.
Drinking plenty of water and getting sufficient fats in your diet are also important parts of keeping your system running smoothly, so to speak.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 20:01
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I see a HUGE difference if I don't drink enough water.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 14:34
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 54%

Fiber is great! Adding magnesium suppplements helps keep you regular, too. Take it at night, though, it can make you feel sleepy.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Hm, I barely eat any and I'm like clockwork.

Generally eat a salad once a day as my only fiber, sometimes I'll have another serving of veggies with dinner though.

I think water is a big deal in keep it regular. If you find yourself slowing down have a large glass of tea, coffee or green tea and follow it with water.

Don't worry too much about being fiber in at every meal! You should be fine as long as you don't cut it out and you're not eating mass quantities of meat and cheese.