Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 21:34

Plan: Induction
Stats: 228/208/175 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Baltimore FOX News Atkins Diet

Fox News in Baltimore had about a 10 minutes info on the Atkins diet. I thought the report or news they gave was very weak. However, they did have some dietian tell that she read some report or read some research done on the Atkins diet that showed liver or kidney problems with the diet. Anyone know if that report exists? Where does the news get their facts?

I got all exicted to see the Fox news but it wasnt worth the time. Anyone in Baltimore see the news as well?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 22:39

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I haven't seen this program, but there has long been a belief that high protein causes kidney damage and high fat causes liver problems.

I've tried to find research on both and can't. In fact, the nurse's study, as well as several others, show that high fat/protein can make liver/kidney problems worse, but there is NO INDICATION that either causes damage to healthy organs.

I've seen so many articles on TV and read so many things in the news and on the internet, and there is very little truth to what is said. Many of these "reporters" haven't even read a book about nutrition or atkins or anything else. As for the nutritionists, they are parroting what they've been taught.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 22:55

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

If you have healthy kidneys and liver/gall bladder, you will not suffer any ill-effects caused by this WOE. However, if you have pre-existing problems, this WOE will cause trouble. Dr. Atkins discusses this in his book and recommends avoiding induction and early OWL. This is why it is so important to read the book.