Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 22:45
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default CKD or TKD for strength gains?

Years ago, I read in some weight-training book that a weight training program designed to build muscle will be very different from one to build strength. Of the two goals, I would rather build upper-body strength than muscle (although I wouldn't mind being bigger either). Is CKD a good way to build strength while still losing weight? Would TKD be better? Or would I be better off losing fat first before trying some other program?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 16:13
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

tough question but i'll take a stab at this one....

maybe CKD since you have the carbups on the wknds but....
it really would depend on your determination. I think it's possible to gain muscle and some strength while losing fat on a CKD or TKD plan, but it will be tough. most people will split their year into two parts: one for strength training and the other for weight loss.....but the most important thing is to remember when you want to train for strength, and it will help tremendously, is if you have a training partner, not only for motivation but for spotting lifts.

some other things that'll help for strength: medium to heavy weights, 3 or 4 exercises with 4 sets of 6 to 8 reps (first set for warm up with light weight) per exercise, be sure you throughly warmup the muscle group you are training, and focus on your intensity level (i.e. maybe training one muscle group per day giving enough rest before working it out again, that way you can work harder)

not sure if I answered your question...
HTH, good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-13-04, 13:15

Plan: TKD
Stats: 238/208/200 Male 6 feet
BF:16, 7.5, 4
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4Prez
Years ago, I read in some weight-training book that a weight training program designed to build muscle will be very different from one to build strength. Of the two goals, I would rather build upper-body strength than muscle (although I wouldn't mind being bigger either). Is CKD a good way to build strength while still losing weight? Would TKD be better? Or would I be better off losing fat first before trying some other program?

I am of the mindset to focus on either weight and/or strength gain OR losing bodyfat...

Its possible to gain strength when you are on a CKD or TKD but that luxury is usually reserved for people new to weightlifting.

The program I follow is a bulking phase in the fall and early winter, then I cut weight during the late winter months allowing me to be lean and mean for Spring and summer...

I hope this helps somewhat...