Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 09:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/200.5/165
BF:
Progress: 53%
Question Induction questions

I'm on my second day of induction and have a few "small" questions. Do you count the carbs on ALL foods that you eat, such as cheese, cream, veggies, etc? Do you need to count the carbs in 2 cups salad and 1 cup cooked veggies or only the dressing you use, etc? I guess I'm a bit confused on that.

Also, are you able to use the Atkins shakes during induction? I haven't yet, but they look like they would be a good easy way to have a quick breakfast.

I've lost 30 pounds already doing a low-carb type diet (12day) but found the weight was coming back and I was getting very bored with what I was doing. I thought maybe the Atkins would be more for me. If I can get through the induction phase, I'm sure things will be much easier to follow.

Thanks for any help you can give me in advance!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 09:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello!

>>"Do you count the carbs on ALL foods that you eat?"

Yep. If you follow the induction rules - two cups of salad veggies, one cup of cooked veggies, maximum of 3-4 oz cheese, etc - you should be right around 20 g.

>>"Also, are you able to use the Atkins shakes during induction?"

I would stay away from them until after induction, especially if they're sweetened with sugar alcohols. There's more info on the sugar alcohols under 'quick links' over to the right, 'the truth about low carb sweeteners info', if you're curious. They cause an insulin response in some people.

HTH - Best of luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 23:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

I don't know. Almost everybody says the shakes are ok - just avoid the bars. I think you have to try it and see what happens for yourself. Good luck!