Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 17:58

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 185/179/140 Female 5' 3
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Why Should I Bother? I Am 60/fat

I Don't Feel That Great. Am 60 Year Old Female, Who Is A Vegetarian--that Has Been A Problem, But I Am Managing. In Three Days I Will Have Completed The First Two Weeks, But Because Of My Weight Must Continue With Induction Phase. I Am Not Really Craving Sweets, But I Feel Strange--not As Great As The Book Says I Should Feel

Do You Ever Feel Why Bother?

I Have Suffered Depression All Of My Life And Have To Take Timed-release Paxil--wonder If This Is A Hinderance.

Please, Someone Tell Why I Should Bother? We All Are Going To Die Any Way.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 18:45
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Buffie,

From reading your two posts, it sounds like you may need a different kind support than you can get on a low-carb forum. Can you talk to a health practitioner or a spiritual advisor on getting some help? Anti-depressants will help but I really think you need to find some one to talk to.

Low-carbing can be a little help in alleviating depression because you are giving your body the right kind nutrients and not depending on carbs for energy which can give you highs and then terrible lows.

It's true that we all are going to die anyway, but we have been given the gift of free will to make our lives satisfying and rewarding while we're here. It looks like you are making a choice in the right direction...to make a big change in your eating habits that will change your life. Know that you are doing the right thing and get some counselling to help you with the challenges you are facing.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 21:06

Plan: kISS/Curves
Stats: 319/263/165 Female 67"
BF:49.5
Progress: 36%
Default I'll tell you why to bother.

I have been depressed most of my life. I'm on anti-depressants. I was a vegetarian. I'm 52. I'm fat. But I have everything to live for and so do you.

We are all dying every day that we live. But shouldn't we try to make each day count? You must think there's a reason to go on or you wouldn't be taking Paxil and you wouldn't be trying this woe.

You need to seek help from a therapist, counselor, social worker or religious advisor. You also need to have your medication checked. Perhaps the dosage is off or you need another med. Also, this woe is difficult for vegetarians. Are you a vegetarian for moral reasons or is it just a preference. If it is a preference, I suggest that you add some protein to your diet, such as fish and chicken. Personally, I now eat red meat as well.

This woe works for me. I know I have clinical depression. But by eating right for me, exercising, taking the right meds and enjoying life one day at a time, I hope to be here for 50 more years. Therapy was a big part of my life for many years and I think it could help you as well.

God bless.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 21:19

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am a vegetarian. Last bite of anything non vegetarian was more than 7yrs ago.

I think that a lot of people eat unhealthily as vegetarians, replacing the meat and protein for carbs. At least that is how I went about it.

Why not give this a try?

You can do this vegetarian (or not), I have been able to and am still going 6 months later!

You can do this! You can make a difference for yourself!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/209/200 Male 6.4 ft
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default don't give up

Hello Buffie
Depression is a nasty thing. Just like worrying too much, loneliness, low self-esteem, addictions etc. (I've been there myself).
These things are the enemies in a persons life and one should do anything not to let them harm you.
Trying to make a big change in your life will make you feel so much better! Go give this diet/lifestyle a try! It works like a charm!
Maybe in your case there might come a day when you will chuck those anti-depressants and feel good about your personal achievements and grateful to be alive.
Bye Buffie.
Big Dutch.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 10:32

BF:
Progress:
Smile Thank You For Your Concern.

For Those Who Took The Time To Reply, Thank You Very Much.

I Am In A Somewhat Difficult Situation As I Have No Biological Family Or Children; Thus, It Is Difficult To Get Motivated. In Addition, My Husband Is An Alcoholic, And Yes I Have Been Through Everything To Try To Help Myself With This Situation. I Do Have Some Great Friends, But I Know They Can't Do This For Me.

For Those Of You Who Suggested Counseling, I Have Tried Throughout My Lifetime And Have Been On Every Antidepressant Known To Man. I Have Autoimmune Problems--fibromyalgia With Symptoms Of Chronic Fatigue--a Constant Sore Throat, With No Evidence Of Infection, Skin Problems, Hypo/hyper Thyroidism.

So You Can See, It Is Difficult. I Will Continue To Try To Stick With It Because My Eating Behavior Was Totally Out Of Control.

Actually, I Have Lost 5 Pounds, But The Amount I Have To Lose, About 45 Pounds, Seems Insurmountable To Me.

I Congratulate All Of You For Your Courage. Buffie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 10:55

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

Hi Buffie,

Starting a log can be very theraputic. And it sounds like you are already on medication for depression, as your statement "Tell Why I Should Bother? We All Are Going To Die Any Way" clearly shows you do need additional spritiual support.

Allow me to give you some quick philosophy:
Why bother? Heres why...

For the time that you ARE HERE, (hey if you lived to be 80 thats 20 years babe) you want to increase the quality of your life and well being.

You may in fact find that once you knock off 5, then 10, then 15lbs, you will be encouraged and really enjoy this way of eating, way of life. Being encouraged about ANYTHING when you have severe depression is a win in all the books!

Of course, we will all die someday, but I want to give myself every opportunity to make it one day further away than if I continued my old way of eating. and besides... I'd rather be a skinny corpse!
:-)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 05:42

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for taking your time to reply. I will try to continue with the life program.

You are right--I may live a long time, and I, like you, would prefer to be a thinner corpse!!!!

THIS IS TOTALLY FOREIGN TO ME--HAVING EATEN HUMUNGOUS AMOUNTS OF ICE CREAM, COOKIES, PASTA--YOU NAME IT, I ATE IT--AND NEVER IN MODERATION.

I STILL AM ON THE PLAN; I WILL CONTINUE TO TRY. ONE OF MY MAIN PROBLEMS WITH MANY ISSUES IS THAT I WANT INSTANT GRATIFICATION--IN OTHER WORDS, IN TWO WEEKS, I LOST ALL OF THE WEIGHT I WANT!!!!

I ADMIRE YOU--YOU ARE DOING IT AND SO MANY PEOPLE ARE STRUGGLING LIKE I AM.

I DO THINK OF ALL THE PEOPLE DAILY AND MENTALLY SEND MESSAGES TO HANG IN THERE--I GUESS I NEED TO SEND MENTAL MESSAGES TO MYSELF.

HAVE A GOOD SECOND--I HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS IN SECONDS.

BUFFIE
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 05:48
Alan Rickman Addict

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffie
I STILL AM ON THE PLAN; I WILL CONTINUE TO TRY. ONE OF MY MAIN PROBLEMS WITH MANY ISSUES IS THAT I WANT INSTANT GRATIFICATION--IN OTHER WORDS, IN TWO WEEKS, I LOST ALL OF THE WEIGHT I WANT!!!!

(((Buffie)))
I can completely relate on the depression and the instant weight loss gratification issues. I know that I feel better mentally on this WOE, but sometimes that's not even enough to not sabatoge myself. It's taken me awhile and I'm almost there .

Hang in there, you can do it!!!!!

#10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 06:10
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Buffie-

I am also a vegetarian with hypothyroidism and you can see from my stats that I have lost 40 pounds. It wasn't really fast (and I suffer from instant gratification syndrome too!) but it was steady. The larger I was, the more depressed and out of control of my own life I felt. This was the only thing that helped me regain control of my body and that helped me mentally.

Sometimes therapy is a lifelong thing. We never completely figure ourselves out and never quit changing through our experiences. Life is a journey-sometimes it is that progress along that journey that is the important thing.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 15:18

Stats: 197.5/158.0/125 Female 64 inches
BF:42
Progress: 54%

Buffie, you are certainly not alone in the mental illness department. I am bi-polar and thank God daily for the Atkins WOL. I am down 35 lbs and off all medication. Remember, you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything ! I think about this when depression rears its ugly head.