Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 07:47
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Wanda you're amazing

I'd get emotional too if this were me!

I think you're doing great

Maggie
Shucks, thanks Maggie. I don't know if it's that I'm amazing, I'm just REALLY stubborn.

I go through weaker periods too. Maybe, as you say, it's cycle related. But I also find if I've been under stress, it affects me. You've been away on a trip, flying all over the place. Maybe your body is trying to adjust. You'll be back to normal in no time, probably.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-04, 17:02
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Maggie:

I got my results back. Here are the numbers:

TSH: 2.08
Free T3: 3.9
Free T4: 11

What do you make of all these "normal" results?

Wanda
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 05:40
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Maggie:

Here are the reference ranges. According to the lab's references ranges, I'm on the lowish side of normal for T3 and T4. What do you say?

TSH: .35-5 (which we know is wrong) (2.08)
Free T3: 3.5-5.5 (3.9)
Free T4: 9-23 (11)

Thanks Maggie!

Wanda
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 09:39
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Maggie:
Quote:
Hi Wanda

You're right. Your T3 is low.

Did you read the Wilson's syndrome website? I think this protocal might help you. It basically resets your thryoid horomones so that more of your T3 is active as opposed to inactive. If you wanted to spend the money, you could get a reverse T3 test to confirm that this is actually the problem. Did you say your doctor can do this? If not, there are several labs out west that offer this test.

Let me know what you decide.

From my eyes it looks obvious that this is the problem

Good luck!

Maggie
Wow, you're the 2nd person now to tell me I'm hypothyroid. I posted on the hypo forum and Nat replied. I don't know if you know Nat, but she's an incredible woman. Very intelligent and helpful. She's been gone from the forum for a year, and just popped in out of the blue to reply to my post.

Here's the post - I started down at about post #17 (top of the 2nd page) http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...23&page=2&pp=15

OK, I'm not thrilled that I'm hypo, but it gives me something to work on instead of the frustration I've been experiencing the last 5 months. I think I'll just call for an appointment instead of waiting for them to call. I'm feeling impatient now.

Thanks for all your help Maggie. I really appreciate it.

Wanda
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 11:17

Plan: modified LC carb cycling
Stats: 182/148/125 Female 5"6
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi Wanda

Give the Wilson's syndrome protocal some thought. The philosophy behind it is a person is not necessarily hypo thyroid per se, but through stress, illness, etc, has clogged their thyroid system with reverse T3, which blocks receptor sites, and can do nothing for since it's inactive. This presents as hypo thyroid with the same symtoms.

What's nice about Wilson's protocal is if it works, and you reset your system, you can go off thyroid hormones, whereas if you do take traditional thyroid medication, you're on it for life. If I had known about Wilson's protocal when I started treatment 4 yrs ago, I would have tried this first. I don't know if it's going to work for me, but I am going to try it later this month.

What happened to me, is when I went on traditional thryoid medication, I was given a low dose, but because my pituitary sensed that there was hormone coming in, it stopped telling my thyroid to produce TSH. So my TSH dropped to 0, my Free T 4 to 8, (scale 10-22) and my Free T 3 to the bottom of the range. I gained 20 lbs in just a couple of months, until I got on a proper dose, and it took 2 years to lose!

Over the last 4 years I've grown weary of taking daily medication, always feeling slightly undermedicated, and I want to see if I can get my own thyroid and pituitary working right again. I'm using Wilson' protocal to do this.

Whatever you decide, just know that it's not your fault that you have a hard time losing weight. It's your hormones, and when you get them figured out, you'll do fine.

I'm glad you've made an appointment and are getting the answers you need Talk to your doctor about what your treatment options and let him know about Wilson's protocal. Give him the website if he hasn't seen it.

Maggie
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 11:43
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Maggie:

I'll do that. He seems to treat Wilson's b/c he mentioned it when I asked about RT3. Although he did say that he found the success rate challenging.... or something to that effect.... I didn't get any details.

I found that website a bit confusing as to protocol. I didn't see anything concrete other than supplements or something. LOL, maybe it's my brain fog. What are you going to be taking to treat your thyroid? I know the estrogen dominance was one issue, but anything else since I can't get rid of "high estrogen" by traditional means?

Thanks again,
Wanda
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 15:28

BF:

Lower body today, feels much easier, thank god

Squats

12 x 45
10 x 55
8 x 65
6 x 75
12 x 45

Time to increase the weight

Leg extensions

12 x 70

Lunges

12 x 20
10 x 25
8 x 30
8 x 40
12 x 20

Leg curls

12 x 70

Seated calf raises

12 x 55 x 3

Did not do cardio today. Had a very long day of work yesterday, a 2 hr road trip to see a client, lots of meetings, 12 hrs total. I could feel it today.

Also figured out the mystery of why I felt weak during my upper body workout on Monday. Duh....

When I looked back at my gym log I saw that I accidently kept adding 10 lb weights to the bar for bench instead of 5lbs. By the time I got to my set of 6, I was lifting 15 lbs more, and I couldn't do it. I think my shoulders were sore because I overdid chest.

What I was trying to lift was the same amount as I do for squats. I'm surprised that I'd be lifting a similar amount to what I do for squats since it's a smaller muscle group.

Will walk for one hr this aft with my dog. That's it!

Maggie
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 17:09
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Maggie:

Thanks for all that info. I remember reading the Schwarzbein Prinicple II (not I) and she talked about RT3 being diet-related, that her plan would resolve T3 related problems. I'm pretty sure that's what she said, the 'ol brain's a bit foggy these days. If you haven't read her book, it's an excellent read. It's a more balanced approach to carbs, protein and fat, but people can do a lower saturated fat version if they do the Insulin-resistant, Burnt out adrenals program. It's a hormone-balancing program. Here's a sticky in the SP forum that you may find interesting.

Well since this IS your gym log, you're fabulous on the leg ext and curls. LOL, about the bench press. One time I'd just finished doing leg press and forgot to change the weight stack to do a cable row. It was damn heavy but I got 6 reps out of it. I was amazed I could do it when my mind was tricked from limitations.

'til later!

Wanda
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-04, 18:43
Mad Scientist

BF:

Yeah, the first book just addresses Insulin, but the 2nd book addresses the interplay between insulin, cortisol and adrenaline. With what you are trying to do, I think it would be a great read for you even if you don't do the plan.

Wanda
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 10:42

BF:

Finally weighed in at 158. Last weigh in on Sept 11, 158.

This is the one thing I do not like about lifting weights. I have no way of knowing how much muscle I gained and how much fat I lost.

I'm not happy with this at all

I lost 6 lbs in the first 2 weeks on Fat Flush.

I think I may go back on Fat Flush for a couple of weeks to get things going, AFTER Thanksgiving weekend. I absolutely hate that diet, but it works.

Supposed to to HITT today. I feel like eating chocolate and watching TV instead!!

Maggie
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 19:56

BF:

Got off my butt and did 35 minutes of HITT, up a mountain road with my chocolate lab Maggie. 30 minutes downhill walk to finish.

Off to go camping for the Thanksgiving weekend.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Maggie
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 20:39
Mad Scientist

BF:

Have a great Thanksgiving Maggie!

Wanda
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Oct-07-04, 21:12
Mad Scientist

BF:

Quote:

Hi Wanda, you have a great thanksgiving weekend too!

We bought a 10 lb organic turkey and are cooking it in the oven in our camper van! I'm totally excited. We;e camping at a wilderness hotsprings, and spending our days hiking.

Hope you've got fun plans and take care

Maggie

That sounds so fun! Mmmmm, nothing quite like the taste of organic meat. Yep, I have plans to stuff my face full of food I shouldn't eat. But it'll be SO worth it.

Wanda
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Oct-10-04, 19:18
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Maggie! have fun and be safe.

Thanks!

red
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Oct-11-04, 09:19
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Maggie: