Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 12:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I get a newsletter called bluesuitmom.com and they recently published the following workout. It might be good for those with not a lot of time or equipment...

Workouts on the go
By Joni Hyde of WorkoutsForWomen.com

The summer has arrived! Families are planning their summer vacations. What a great time of the year to relax with loved ones. One drawback though: it's easy to get out of your workout routine when you are out of your familiar surroundings. Although you may not have your dumbbells and step with you, you can still get a great workout no matter where you are. Whether you're out of town for an important business trip or your annual family vacation, there is no need to completely abandon your workout schedule.

Here is a no excuse exercise routine you can do anywhere without any exercise equipment. Perform the following exercises in a circuit just like you would with your regular weekly routine. Complete 2 to 4 circuits depending on your fitness level.

Warm Up First
Loosen up your muscles and get the blood flowing to prevent injury. Either jog in place, march in place, jump rope or do jumping jacks. Depending on your fitness level, this part of your workout should last at least 2 minutes and up to 5 minutes for a real cardio burst.
Lower Body
Choose 3 of the following exercises for lower body.
Kneeling in/out mule
Kneel down onto knees and elbows with both feet flexed (toes pulled in). Kick up and out with one leg, squeezing the buttocks, extending leg straight out, keeping hips square to the ground during the movement. Bend knee in and return to start. 20 each side.

Lying pelvic push up
Lie on your back bent, feet flat on the floor. Extend the right leg out, keeping legs parallel and knees together. Press left heel into the ground as you lift the lower body up. Slowly lower. 20 each side.

Wall squats
Stand about 12 - 18" away from a wall. Squat down, bending at the knees, lowering hips down no lower than knee level, keeping knees behind the toes, back leaning against the wall. Hold the squat for 10 seconds then stand up pressing through the heels. Relax for 5 seconds. Repeat 6 times.

Plies
Stand with feet far apart, toes pointed outward. Hold onto a chair for balance. Bend your knees, lowering your hips toward the floor, keeping buttocks tucked under, knees pressing back. Feel a stretch in the inner thigh. Be sure that knees don't extend past your toes. Straighten knees. 20 times.

Chair squats
Sit down on the edge of a chair. Line up your heels right under your knees, with feet shoulder width apart, toes pointing straight ahead, arms raised straight up. Lift yourself up into a standing position by pressing through the heels, while simultaneously pulling down with arms. Sit back down, lifting arms and lowing torso as you sit, tapping buttocks onto the chair. Keep chest up, weight through the heels and knees behind the toes throughout the exercise. 20 times.

Stationary lunge
Hold chair for balance. To find correct leg positioning Kneel down, step right leg forward, right heel directly above ankle, weight on the heel. Toes of left foot are pulled in. Then stand up. Legs should be shoulder width apart, back heel up. Shoulders back, chest up, abdominals tight.) Bend knees and lower hips to the floor stopping before back knee hits the floor, keeping front knee above ankle. Straighten knees without locking as you return to start. 20 each side.

Upper body
Choose either wall push-up or regular push-up and also do tricep dips
Wall push ups
Place hands flat on wall, just outside shoulder width apart, at shoulder height. Stand at a distance so arms are fully extended. Bend elbows until chest is a few inches from wall. Keep abdominals tight, neck straight, back straight. Squeeze chest muscles as hand push you back to start. 15 times

Push ups
Down on hands and knees, hands flat, just outside shoulder width and slightly forward, extend knees back as far as possible. Keeping abdomen tight, neck in line with spine, bend elbows and lower chest one fist distance from floor, aiming head right between hands, then push up to start, keeping elbows soft at the top. 20 times.

Seated tricep dips
Sit on edge of chair with hands gripping the edge. Extend legs in front, with knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Extend your arms straight and move your buttocks up and off the chair. Bend your elbows directly behind you, and lower hips toward the floor, stopping before you feel any pressure in your shoulders. Keep buttocks close to the chair. Keep shoulders low and back. Push up until elbows are almost straight. 15 times

Abs and back
Crunch
Lie on back with knees bent, heels close to body, pelvis titled slightly up, back flat on floor. Place fingertips touching back of head, or a towel behind head. Keeping elbows back, chin one fist distance off chest, focusing eyes up on an angle. Tighten abdominals, lift shoulder blades up and forward, and exhale contracting abdominals. Lower back down not resting head on mat. 20 times.
Superman
Lie face down on floor, with legs straight and arms extended overhead, palms down, face down. Exhale as you lift your right arm and left leg simultaneously without arching your back. Hold for 2 seconds. Lower and repeat on other side lifting left arm and right leg simultaneously. 12 times alternating sides.

Stretch
Spend between 5 to 10 minutes stretching all the muscles of your body. Slowly lengthen the muscles until you feel a gentle stretch. Hold the position for 15 to 30 seconds. Release slowly.

For a complete home exercise program visit WorkoutsForWomen.com. With online audio/video instructions and email consultations, members enjoy the benefits of having a personal trainer at their fingertips and on their own schedule.

Search BlueSuitMom.com

S h o p p i n g

Let's Go Potty Video
Let's Go Potty is a live action video that is the survival guide for parents who are in the process of toilet training their children. Let's Go Potty was developed by Pediatrician Betti Hertzberg. Buy Now

D a i l y S t o p s
• Exercise of the Month
• Home Exercise Programs
• BMI Calculator
• Exercise Calculator
• Beauty & Style Your Way

Ask an Expert
• Personal Trainer
• Pediatrician
• Holistic Health

P o l l
Do you allow your child to drink soda?
No, never
Yes, only occasionally
Yes, anytime they want
Yes, only at special times

View results
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 14:55

Stats: 233/213/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I really try to get to the gym no matter what, at least three days a week... And usually I'm lucky enough to drag my husband along (and believe me I DO feel lucky about that). And it's tough sometimes to even get out of bed... but I feel better the ENTIRE day if I do--energized, productive... ME, runner up for the 1990s Slug of the Decade Award... It's weird, but I try to think about how good it'll feel AFTERWARDS... Thinking every day, "I need to go exercise, I need to go exercise, I really really really want to, uh... 'have exercised.'" (never wanting to DO it, mind you, just wanting to have DONE it...) and some days....it goes like this:

5:15:00 AM: <radio alarm> La-di-da-di-da-di-da-di-da, La-di-da, La-di-dahhhh, La-di-da-di-da-di-da-di-da...

5:15:05 <me, smashing snooze button> $&*#!!! I HATE THIS $$(#-ING $&$(# THING!

5:22:00 <radio alarm> La-di-da-di-da-di-da-di-da, La-di-

5:22:03 <me, smashing snooze button again> $#!+ !!!

5:29:00 <radio alarm> La-di

5:29:01 <me, pulverizing snooze button> STOP! All right. All RIGHT... ALL RIGHT, ALL RIGHT, ALL **R I G H T**!!! <turns off alarm>

<Jostles husband>

Me: Honey?

Him: Whuuuhhhh...

Me: HONEY?

Him: Whuuuhhhh...

Me: <oozing fake cheerfulness> It's [insert day of week], Honey! It's time to LEAP up and go to the gym!

Him: Whuuuuhhh...

Me: Time to leap... Honey? <waits> Honey? OK... I'm leaping... <musically> I'm leeeeap-iiiing.

5:34:00 <dog 1, from the other room> Arrarrarrrarrrarrrarr. ARRARRARRARRRARRR!!

5:34:02 <dog 2, from husband's pillow> whiiiine. Whine whine, whimper... whine whine whine.

5:34:03 Him: Whuuuuhhh...

5:35:00 <me, pushing dog 2 off the bed> OK, Honey, I'm leaping without you.

<I crawl out of bed. Trip over panties.> " $#!+ "

OK Honey, it's time... Honey? <musically> I'm leeeeap-iiiing...

Him: STOP! All right. All RIGHT... ALL RIGHT, ALL RIGHT, ALL **R I G H T**!!! "$&#($&"

Me: Put your right foot down... then your left foot... Good! That's good.

Dog 1: Arrarrarrrarrrarrrarr. ARRARRARRARRRARRR!! AaaaooooOOOOOHH!

Him: <weary but vertical> OK... OK, dogs, OK... Arrrrrggggggh...

Me: Right foot, left foot... hey! That's cool! Reminds me of the "hokey pokey" remember when we were kids? <sings> You put your RIGHT foot in, you put your RIGHT foot out, you put your RIGHT foot in, and you shake it all about... <dancing> you do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself...

Him: STOP! it's five o' ##&$-ing clock in the morning. No hokey pokey.

Me: Uh... OK.

So we somehow manage to walk the dogs and pack the gym bags...

"They should have been packed last night."

"You put your RIGHT hand in, you put your RIGHT hand out..."

"If they were packed last night, we'd be out of here already."

"You put your RIGHT hand in..."

"Are you LISTENING to me?"

"I know, I know... sigh."

"So why weren't they packed last night? Where's my towel?"

"Oh, you mean ** I ** should have packed them last night? Well, $#&$(#&!!! We BOTH have gym bags, we BOTH have towels (and I know where mine IS, by the way). We always go through this... OK, you're right. One of these days we WILL pack them the night before."

"When hell freezes over."

Dogs: "Gaaarruuuuh garrruuuuh woowoowoowooo garuuuh." <translation: whoever's fault it is, we don't care... feed us NOW>

6:00 <me, spilling kibble> $&#&!!!

6:00:03 <me, in woojie woojie baby voice> OK doggies! Mommy's got some yummy kibble for you... You're mommy's best little boy and girl, yes you is, yes you IS...

6:01 <dogs finish eating>

"Where's my towel?"

"You STILL haven't found your towel?" Well... we're LATE for the gym, and I'll never get to work at this rate. <to myself> OK, OK... calm down... he'll find the towel... You put your LEFT arm in, you put your LEFT arm out, you put your LEFT arm in, and you... ARE YOU READY???

6:15 <dressed, packed, ready, but still weary, we begin to leave... Husband stops dead in his tracks>

Him: Oh.

Me: What?

Him: I just had a really scary thought.

Me: What?

Him: What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 15:18
Registered Member

Stats: 274/249/175 Male 6'3"
BF:Too freaking much!
Progress: 25%

I am SOOOO grateful that I got a treadmill. It means that I can get my exercise in even when I'm really busy. I usually do between 100 and 200 minutes on the treadmill everyday. . . but sometimes I don't even get to it until 9:30pm as happened last night. Nevertheless, I do get it in and it makes all the difference in my life!
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 17:33

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

LOL!
Tooooo funny, Wombatica!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 17:47

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

Just throwing my two cents in:

I work full time, go to school full time, and perform two shows a week with an improv troupe (plus practice for that). I have to find ways to work exercise into my daily life. Even if you can find five minutes, that's something. And if you can find five minutes a few times during the day, it adds up.

* Park further away - I have a 1/2 mile walk to class from my car and a 1/2 mile walk back when it's finished...with 15 pounds of books in my backpack. Park at the end of the row at the grocery store. Get off the bus two blocks early.

* If you have stairs, use them - either run/walk up and down for a few flights or use one or two stairs as an impromptu step bench

* Make things harder on yourself - hide the remote so you have to walk to the TV to change channels. Use a manual can opener instead of an electric one. Find ways to make your daily activities a little more challenging.

* Walk in place - Leslie Sansone's videos are GREAT. But you can also march in place or do lunges, squats, whatever when you're standing and making dinner. March in place while you watch TV.

* Play with the kids/pets - chase them around the yard. Play on the monkey bars at the playground. You'd be surprised how much energy you can expend just pumping your legs while swinging. Skipping is great exercise!