Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 21:31

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Question What's up with the gain ???

This is my fourth week of Induction. Have lost 17 lbs. This morning I was up 3 lbs. What gives?

This is my first time ever doing LC so any imput would make me feel better.

I haven't added more carbs or fruit yet. Would like to stay on Induction as long as I can. Here I was thinking of adding fruit on Monday.

I am not too discouraged, but am wondering if this is kind of the norm for LC.

Thanks for caring and sharing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 21:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

It happens to me every 10 pounds or so. Don't sweat it, because you will lose it quickly once weight loss gets going again. For example, I gained 3 pounds yesterday and lost 3 pounds today. Yes, this actually happened...and not once but several times. Back in Feb. or March, I literally gained 5-6 pounds overnight. I took them back off within a few days and continued losing.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-02-03, 21:55

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Also, check out the time of the month as well. A week before my menstrual cycle, I can put on anywhere from 5 up to TEN pounds of water weight. It usually stays on until about the middle of menstruation, then begins to "fall" off at the rate of 2 to 3 lbs per day.

Though I'm on Atkins, one thing I learned way back when from CAD was to weigh myself every day, record the weights, then AVERAGE them at the end of the week. This way, weight fluctuations won't get you down, and you'll see the average, rather than the ups and downs.

I know some people advise to stay off the scale except once in awhile. I can't do that. I have to weigh every day, because if I don't, I'll be a slacker and use that as an excuse - even subconsciously - to "cheat". The scale is my accountability - but at the same time, I don't let it rule me. I know that tomorrow I may have lost three, and the next day, looks like I've gained two back - that's why I average it out over the week.

Hope that helped a little

Sh'ra
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 00:00
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi,

weight goes up and down, most fluctuation occur in the beginning. Nothing to do about that exept drinking 2-3 liter water /day - this will help you reach the balance. For me it came in month 3.
Check out the link about weight roller coaster!
Good luck!
Alina
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 00:09

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 199.5/153.1/150 Female 5'11"
BF:36.3%/28.5%/27%
Progress: 94%

I'm starting to think that kind of thing happens around the 4th week of induction for newbies.

You're like, the 7th person that has said those same words in the last few days! Including me!

I was losing at a fantastic rate and then boom! 4th week hits and it just stops. I was doing everything right by the book! I didn't gain, but I quit losing. Including inches.

I just did a "pig-out" refeed tonight to hopefully "trick" the ol' bod into believing nothing's wrong because I've lost so much weight so quickly....

I just pray it works!

= Meagan
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 05:04
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

My weight goes up and down all the time. I think my body is trying to decide whether or not it really means it. From what I have heard around the boards, your fat cells will fill up with water for a few days before they finally dump it. I have a chart that tracks my weight loss and you can see ups and down all throughout. At first it freaked me out, now I realize it is normal. I had more miniplateaus earlier on, now the ups and downs have gotten more and more frequent the closer I am to my goal weight.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 07:27
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Hello

This happens...As long as you are following your plan and not eating things that don't belong...Don't worry. Hang tight keep doing what you are doing and I bet you will "woosh" Lose a couple pounds quite quickly.......

this happens to me as well as a bunch of others so i just look at what i am doing and if I am sneaking in extra nuts etc...I cut it out if not keep on keeeping on!!!

ByE ya
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-03-03, 08:09

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

Mostly likely it's water weight, retained water. If you aren't drinking enough water (min of 64oz daily) or are eating too much salt this may cause the gain you're experiencing. Weight also naturally fluctuates some, so don't fret. This is very common & nothing to worry about. As metioned before, TOM can also play a key role in this experience. If you haven't cheated it's virtually impossible to gain 3lbs so quickly, unless it's water. Stick with what you're doing, up your water intake, watch your salt intake, & this should pass in a few days. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne