Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 15:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/205/130
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Question for those who Lost weight!

I have a question for anyone willing to answer. I was wondering if anyone who has lost about 40lbs or more if they have had a problem with loose skin. Like i have heard that if you are over weight by 50lbs or more than youwill have loose skin when you lose wieght and no matter how much you tone or exercise it will not go away unless you get sergery to remove it. Has anyone had a problem with this? Wierd question i know but i am really worried about this. I am about 200lbs on a 5'4 fram and i am scared if i get down to at least 130 that i will have this problem. Anyone with advice or some info on this?
Thanks in advance.
Angela
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 16:04
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Angela,

When I was close you your age (way back when) I lost over 40lbs, not once but twice! Having lost it in my later teens and then after having kids! And both times I had no problems with hanging skin! Your are still young and your skin will hopefully be ready to respond. Just go at a steady pace so your body can keep up with you!

And dont worry about it! OF everyone I know who has ever lost a lot of weight, I only remember one who had "hanging" skin.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 17:17

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I am 5' 4'' and I started off at 242 pounds. So far I am down 72 pounds. I've lost this weight over the past 15 months (I am 35). Right now I do not have any hanging skin - except my chest, and they just really look deflated. During this time, I made sure I kept my skin moisturized - usually once a day right after my shower. But lets face it, I don't have the skin of an 18 year old, so no hard body here!

Every person is different, so your milage may vary. I really don't think though that if you have a little hanging skin, that that should deter you from the many health benifits that losing weight will afford you.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 17:45

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i have lost 37 lbs. so far, no loose skin.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 16:18

Stats: 210/205/130
BF:
Progress: 6%

thanks alot for answering my question . Even if i was to get lose skin i am still doing this and am going to lose all i can. i rather live with a little lose skin than live with all this extra weight.
Again thanks you guys.
Angela
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 16:45
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I posted the very same question, Angela, when I first started! I have 65 lbs to lose total.

I've lost 25 lbs since March 1 and so far, so good. If you're young that helps a lot. I'm 35 and my skin is looking great.

I follow some instructions I found here on skin brushing (do a search) which basically involves rubbing a natural bristle bath brush on your body - first wet and then as you get used to it, dry before your shower. I use a great moisturizer and so far my skin is better than it's been in years.

I've had pretty bad exzema since childhood and it's almost totally clear right now. All the stubborn little bumps on the tops of my arms are gone, too. My skin is so soft as is my hair.

The fat content on this WOE does wonderful things!

Keep exfoliating, moisturizing and try to work out regularly. Those are your best shots!

K.