Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/200/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%
Smile Need some wisdom, please!

Another day...another question (or set of questions)

I just read a question on an older thread (Newbie section, I think) and I want to ask it here. If I'm eating only two cups of salad and one cup of another veggie (I'm on day three of Induction) but not getting up to 20 carbs, can I add another cup of salad or add more veggies to get up to 20? The answer on the old thread was yes (by just one person...then no one else answered) but that seems too good to be true and is not what the Atkins book says.

Additionally, I'd love for someone to look at my FitDay account and tell me if it looks like I'm doing this right. Some have said it looks OK except for maybe the salad dressing. I feel like I'm retaining fluid (rings are tight) and don't know why. I drink at least 64 oz. of water daily...usually go over that. After two days, I have lost 2 pounds. I know that's better than nothing, but my expectations were higher.

Any suggestions???

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/public...owner=Darlene63

Thanks loads!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Default Loss

I think 2 pounds in two days is terrific! You are doing great. I eat the salad and then try to fill the carbs with other things...the little things like the dressing and eggs usually fill the gaps if I have leftover carbs.

I have been doing this a week and have lost 5..so any loss is terrific. Keep up the great work!

Laura
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:41

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

Two pounds is incredible for the first three days...particularly since Dr. Atkins says in his book that it takes several days to get into ketosis.

As far as the answer to your question...I have no idea. If the book doesn't say it though, I wouldn't do it. As long as you are under 20 carbs and following the rules of induction, I wouldn't worry about it

Congrats on the 2 lbs.

L
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:43

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Hi Darlene,

I'm getting ready to fly out the door to work out so no time to check your fitday right now. However, in re vegs and carb count, you may eat as much of the acceptable vegs as you want to bring your carb count up to 20. The reason Atkins gives quantities for salad (2-3 c.) and vegs (1 c.) is for people who are getting carbs from other sources such as cream and cheese. It is actually preferable that you get your carbs from leafy greens and vegs than these other things.

HTH,

Jones
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:59

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

I say yes because your carbs should come from the green stuff and not the dairy because it is easy to go over the max cheese amount per day. I always add more greens when I have to up my carbs and I have and continue to do well on this WOE! So be a rabbit
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 07:28

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

When I was on induction, I only worried about getting in my 20 grams of carbs per day. The only thing I counted was carbs. I lost 9 lbs on induction and was thrilled. If it were me, I would add anyting I wanted which would generally be a vegetable.

Black57
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 12:36

BF:
Cool

Once again, you have provided much needed wisdom!

Thanks! Great advice!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 13:33
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Darlene-

I did look at a couple of days in fit day and I would add another cup of veggies if I were you. It looks like your menu is pretty good to me!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:01

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Veggies won't make you fat!!

Yup, I agree with adding veggies. Consider how many things are allowed on induction that add carbs: cheese, cream, avocado, olives, sour cream, lime and lemon juice. If you don't consume much of those things, feel free to allow yourself another salad or another serving of green veggies.

Veggies are good.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:23

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default salads

i was also wondering about adding salad greens. i useally have 2 cups with half tomatoes.. on bag it said for 2 cups greens is 3 carbs. and another bag will say 3cups greens for 3carbs. depends on which bag i pick up.
so i gusse that i can eat all salad i want to as long as i write down carbs on dressing and i think on tomtoes it is 1-3 carbs for med. ?? today i had 4 1/2 oz. chicken breast with 2 cups greens with dressing.
then later i had 3 slices turkery breast with 2t. cream cheese. tonite another salad with eggs. is that ok. i dont know how to use fit day
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 172.6/169.6/140 Female 63 inches
BF:41.5%/41.5%/25%
Progress: 9%

Two pounds in two days is a great start. My weight usually only changes a pound or a half-pound on a daily basis on Induction.

Great start!

Nelle

P.S. go for the veggies!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:28

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

That looks great, Janet!

I also like to add other salad veggies like celery, cucumber, radishes, etc. They barely raise the count but definitely jazz up the flavor.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 17:14

BF:
Wink Thanks!

For supper, I had THREE cups of salad (wow!) with chicken breast and dressing. That extra cup was wonderful!

Thanks again!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 17:22
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I didn't eat a lot of the "extras" on Induction, so I had lots of room for veggies. Spent most of my carbs on veggies in fact.
And I lost 13 lbs on Induction.

You're far better off eating more veggies and limiting the cream and cheese, etc., in my opinion.

I discovered lots of new veggies like kale and daikon radish -- and cauliflower roasted. Yum yum.

I also like big salads with lots of stuff inside - celery, bit of onion, radishes, cucumber, red pepper. Some chicken and a bit of cheese on top.

Or spinach salad with sauteed mushrooms, crumbled sausage, sun dried tomatoes, olives, capers, etc.

Angela's right - veggies aren't what made us pack on the pounds.

So eat up the greens, and feel glad you're not only getting skinnier, you're getting healthier! And isn't that what's most important?

Good luck!

Kaillean