Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 11:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Homemade Shakes?

Hi everyone,
After doing Atkins for a bit over a month now, i have found myself getting really sick of eggs. So i took a recipe for homemade protein shakes off this board (i can't remember where) and have been having those shakes for breakfast every morning. They contain
1/2c. Heavy Cream
3-4 small strawberries
1 scoop protein powder
1/2c. water
ice.

In the last couple days, i have been reading so much about how cream is bad for you. I NEVER get over 1600 calories a day. I get most of the fat from the cream, aside from the occasional tablespoon of butter to cook with. I don't eat things like mayonnaise... So my question is - how can i make the shakes another way without them tasting nasty, and if i do that, and seriously cut the amount of fat i am getting, is it going to be worse for me? I am hearing contradictory info (up the fat! cut out the butter/cream/nuts/etc)...

I woke up this morning very discouraged. I have not had any sugar since i started - and i ate 1/4 of a hamburger bun a few weeks ago. Aside from that, i have been trying to stick loyally to the program. My ratio is 70% fat, 25% protein 5%carbs. I eat veggies. I AM losing weight - but my stomach seems way more fatty. I always tend to gain weight there first, but this is really starting to worry me. It doesn't seem bigger - just er... wobblier? My clothes all fit exactly the same, which for losing 13-14lbs worries me... I need some support and advice??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 11:58

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
i have been reading so much about how cream is bad for you

Really! Where? Not here I hope! Cream is full of vitamins and calcium - and on this diet fat is your friend.

Quote:
It doesn't seem bigger - just er... wobblier

This could be because the fat cells are losing their fat content and filling with water. Soon the whoosh fairy will visit you, the water will disappear and your stomach will be flatter.

Enjoy your shakes. drink plenty of water and the weight will go.

Good luck,

Robert.

P.S. Most important don't worry - stress doesn't help weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 12:41
Registered Member

Stats: 335/282/150 Female 64 inches
BF:47%
Progress: 29%
Thumbs up I AGREEE

Cream is your friend! I agree with the fat-to water theory, my saddle bags have definitely gotten smaller, but my thighs are wobblier, and my butt-but I have lost inches! I am working out 4x a week, so the muscle will firm up...keep working out and be looking for the "whoosh" fairy! I am looking for her too!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 13:36
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Also, why are you so concerned with calories? This isn't a low cal plan, you have more wiggle room there...
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 18:06

BF:

That is the thing - i am not worried about calories at all. I just wanted to show that the cream was adding to my total calories in one day, and if i didn't have that, then my calories would be much too low.... i am not counting calories at all...
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 18:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198.0/178.4/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Talking

Wow, I'm a newbie and this is the first time I've seen the recipe for that shake, I've got six days left on induction and then I'll have to try it!

Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 19:36

BF:

They are so yummy - especially if you are getting tired of eggs!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 20:40

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I think what you are referring to Faeriegirl, is the post that you said you were having 8 oz. of cream a day. From that you were told that 8 oz may be way too much, but not that, cream is bad for you. Just don't use so much in one day. We all depend on cream, but maybe 2-3 oz a day, more than that, yes it may slow you down.
If you check the book, it may help you to understand this a bit better, somewhere it tells you how much you should have in a day, I think.

Kathy