Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/221/130
BF:
Progress: 22%
Unhappy Why oh why

I have looked at alot of diets and wol.I really think that this lc is the best way. But for some reason I cant stay on it. I do so good during the day and most of the week but my husband brings home dinner every wen. and this last week it was taco bell and week before that it was kfc.i always end up eating something I shouldnt. Am I hopeless?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 11:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Why is your husband bringing home things that he knows (?) you can't eat?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 11:30
Registered Member

Stats: 247/221/130
BF:
Progress: 22%

good ? I think that he just craves them and doesnt think about it until he gets home and then he feels bad.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 15:57

Plan: SP/Atkins hybrid
Stats: 224/192/130 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Maybe you could adapt what he brings home to suit your WOE. For instance, if he goes to Taco Bell, have him bring you two tacos and then dump them into a home made salad and toss the shells in the trash.

For KFC, you could remove the battered skin and just avoid the starchy sides.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 16:21
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Or can you pick up something for yourself when he picks up something for himself? If you have Boston Market near you, that is a good alternative to KFC. You can get rotisserie chicken or baked turkey with two vegetables sides (just tell them not to give you the cornbread). I understand that McDonald's is making good salads with grilled chicken, although I haven't tried them.

Ultimately, you have to decide that it is important to you to do this and then make it happen. You also probably need to talk to your husband about not bringing home foods that are off plan for a few weeks until your eating habits are better established. Why does he want to sabotage your weight loss?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 17:04

BF:

Boston Market is a good choice Liz! I don't think we've been there since we started LCing, thanks for the reminder!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 16:08

Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Sabotage!!!

why do the people that we love try and sabotage us? I think that as scary as being fat is..........Change is even more scary. My mother still tries to sabotage my efforts, by bringing off limits food, even tho I tell her no thanks. I even threw a whole pineapple upside down cake into the trash in front of her. She is still trying to love me with food.

My EX-husband did the same thing. the key phrase here being EX.

You are the boss of you. You make the rules. And I agree that you can find some fairly good meals at fast food. Maybe a compromise can be reached. Sabotage is a terrorist act and is not tollerated.

Thank you for letting me vent about a pet peeve of mine.

Nanci
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 17:36
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Another easy fast food idea that I do a couple of times a month is to pick up a rotisserie chicken and a container of salad from the salad bar at my local supermarket. I think that most larger supermarkets these days sell rotisserie chickens and some type of ready made salad. The Tysons heat and serve chickens are also decent, although, at least at my supermarket, more expensive than the rotisserie chickens that they make fresh.

I also sometimes pick up salad and some roast beef and cheese from the deli and make a chef salad. Usually they have hard-boiled egg on the salad bar -- so with the egg, roast beef, and cheese there is plenty of protein in the meal.

It is certainly possible to eat reasonably healthy, lowcarb fast food.

I think I am lucky that I have no one close to me who tries to sabotage me. My husband and kids do bring home foods that I cannot eat, but they do not expect me to eat them. I don't have any problem with them bringing forbidden foods in the house as long as they don't push them on me. If my husband is planning to pick up take-out for himself and the kids, and he knows it is something I won't eat, he calls me at work and lets me know so that I can pick up something different for myself on the way home. (He's generally responsible for dinner around here on weekdays because he gets home earlier than I do.)

People in my office have also been very understanding and supportive about the way I am eating. In fact, I was at a lunchtime meeting in a hotel with my boss today and when they brought out lasagna he said, "You can't eat that, can you?" and encouraged me to speak up and ask for something else. I told the waiter that I could not eat wheat and he actually found a salmon meal for me (I think they were serving it to another meeting in the next room).
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 08:59

Stats: 244/165/150 Female 5'5"
BF:It is scary!
Progress: 84%

I feel ya my DH use does the same thing sometimes!When I was on WW he would bring home milkshakes (i love milkshakes) and It was like I had no willpower, but now that Im on atkins he can bring home a milkshake,cake,frenchfries, doesnt bother me anymore. It feels like I have more willpower on WOL.Im not hungry all the time.Good Luck you can do it!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 18:23

BF:

Quote:
It feels like I have more willpower on WOL

I couldn't agree more. Finally, a diet that doesn't require an iron will!!!