Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 07:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Progress: 80%
Question More weight to lose...lose faster?

I really hope this doesnt sound like a silly question, but after reading some posts and wondering why I didnt lose 30 lbs in a month I would like to ask everybody if their expericence is that when you have more weight to lose, or are just much bigger or male- do you lose weight faster??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 07:18

Stats: 220/191/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hi Fairchild

Welcome!

I've been following the Atkins WOE since Jan 6 and I've lost 22 pounds. The first 11 in the 2 weeks of induction.

After induction weight loss tends to slow down.

To answer your question, yes, it seems to be the trend that the people that are the heaviest drop weight faster, and men lose faster then we do too. How unfair is THAT??

So be patient and remember this is NOT a crash diet. You have changed your eating habits and are getting healthy. Even if you are SLOWLY losing weight and inches, it's still a downward trend. You aren't gaining!

Lolli

Last edited by Lolli-J : Mon, Apr-28-03 at 07:19.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 07:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:

Rule of thumb is that you can expect to lose 10% of the amount you want to lose during induction and 5% per month thereafter. However, in chapter 13 of the New Diet Revolution, Dr. Atkins states that the weight loss for a woman who wishes to lose more than 50 lbs. will range from 4 lbs. for someone with high metabolic resistance to 12 lbs. for someone with low metabolic resistance. Keep in mind that your goal weight may be lower than your ideal body weight, too. So that is probably why you didn't drop 30 lbs. in the first month.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 08:11

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 134/132/127
BF:don't wanna know
Progress: 29%

Yes, yes, yes, Fairchild! I've been on Atkins for four full weeks and only lost a little over a pound. (Believe me, I can spare a few more!) However, 8 years ago, 35 lbs. heavier, I lost it doing low-carb with little effort (and no exercise, either). I lost 5-7 lbs. a month until 35 of them were gone. Been stalling ever since! (Certainly because my low-carb WOE lapsed slightly)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 08:15

Plan: CAD with a few modificati
Stats: 193/141/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I lost only 4 pounds on induction and for the next 4 weeks I lost 6 more. I figure if I keep it up, I will be at goal by August end. I think I can be patient with that.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 08:43

Stats: 236/186/190 Male 72 inches
BF:21
Progress: 109%

Yes, the bigger you are, the faster you fall in general, and males faster than females.
I would also like to add one more variable that seems to be ignored, but I have some experience with, and that is age. This is the third time I have done Atkins in my life with about ten years between each. Now it may be something to do with repeated experiences, or with the general slowing of metabolism or activity level with age, but each time the loss was slower. I have had about the same activity level throughout my life, and if anything, I work out much more now that I used to when I was younger.
The really cool bottom line is that it does still work and is a great WOE.
Wishing you all a fine week.
T.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:21

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yes, everyone here, has the right answer, you doing fine

I noticed your start weight was the same as mine, so thought I'd post my bit of history,

Started Jan/11/03
1st 2 weeks, lost about 10,
then another ten over the next 6 weeks, THEN did nothing, for 3 wks. followed the diet to a T, finally started losing about wk 12 , then week 13 to 16 lost another 5 all togather, bringing my total to 25 pounds.

So on one hand I think it is a pretty fast weight loss for me, then on the other hand, those weeks of no losses,were fustrating, however, I just got into the mindset of no gaining, was a huge progress

Hope that helps, Kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Mon, Apr-28-03 at 09:22.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:26

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 190/184/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

hi, fairchild -
I have been on Atkins twice, the first time I went from 230 to 175 in under 6 months, then took a few months off due to personal "Stuff".

Now I have been back to it for a couple of months and you can see my stats - definitely a faster weight loss when I started ~ a higher number that first time.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 10:07

Stats: 180/152/145
BF:
Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses-
my problem is I dont know any women who are on Atkins just men, and they were all pretty large and they say things like:" the weight falls off so fast you get scared you are sick"
Well let me tell ya, I am not scared of the weight falling off too fast thats for sure
I certainly cant compare results with these guys and chunks of fat are not disappearing from my midsection which the guys all say it did for them.
It really helps to get feedback from gals and guys.
I am completely committed, but every day I am sort of scared that it wont work for me and I should just go down to 900 calories a day and exercise like crazy but I come here for encouragement to stick to this for all the obvious reasons.
Thanks again for the encouragement.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 10:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:

Hey fairchild, DO NOT, I repeat, do not go to 900 calories a day! Your body will think it is starvation mode and shut down your metabolism. Then you really will not lose any weight, if anything, you might gain some. Yes, it's hard when your live Atkins examples are male and have lots of weight to lose, but females are different and everyone is VERY different metabolically. Also when the TOM comes, you can expect to put on some lbs. due to water retention (I put on 2-3 lbs., I've seen other posters complain that it can be as high as 10 lbs!). But, be reassured that it all falls off afterward, and other posters have experienced a mini-whoosh afterwards (although personally I don't know about this, because I will not weigh myself before, during, and after the TOM). Happy LCing!