Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/188/150
BF:n/a
Progress: 0%
Default toast & jelly!!!

I've been on atkins now for about a month and a half. Today for some reason I was going to have my same old bacon and eggs but I was also going to have a slice of toast with jelly.....well I decided to come on the boards before I ate and thank god I did. This place is great threopy! It reminded me how awful I would feel. I can't believe the difference carbs make you feel. I haven't had any hearthurn at all on this diet and before I was always popping rolaids. I guess I just wanted to say thanks for who ever you are that started this forum and thanks to all you wonderful low carbers..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 11:26

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%

HEAR HEAR!!!~ to the people that started these threads!!!

That's good advice about coming to the threads BEFORE deciding to eat something that you are not supposed to (or will regret eating later!)

I can't believe the support here and the understanding that sometimes it's overwhelming! Thank you to the people that started this and for the people that have said kind words to me and kicked me in the butt for screwing up!!

Good thread Donna!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 12:18

Stats: 242/215/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Toast and Jelly

Funny you should mention toast and jelly because I did the same thing last night; however, I didn't get on the board so I, indeed, ate the toast and jelly with my scrambled egg and bacon. I justified it because i had only eaten at most 4 carbs during the day and was very hungry. I was going to a baseball game and knew I'd be up late and would probably get hungry. Which...I did so I munched on some pizza at the game...only the toppings and NO bread. While there I also had a large beer but didn't finish all of it. So...you see I wonder how bad all of that was? I've been reading on this site and it says you should keep your calories up and the carbs around 20, as I'd like to stay on induction for as long as I don't get bored. I've definitely been keeping them below 20. I normally have: breakfast-hard-boiled egg ( 1 carb); lunch- garlic salad (1 carb), pickle (1 carb), and cheese (1 carb); dinner- some kind of meat (0 carbs), broccoli (4 carbs...at the most), cheese (1 carb). So, you see...my carb intake has been really low. It fills me up during the day too. Do you suggest I still increase my carbs throughout the day? And...does beer act like wine and liquor in that it acts differently than regular carbs. It's not necessarily bad for you but is just used for energy before fat is. It shouldn't knock me out of ketosis, right? Sorry...lots of questions...just scared about the cheat.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 13:47

Stats: 130/130/120 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I still have my toast and jelly once a week or so with breakfast. I have lo-carb bread that is about 3g per slice. They also make sugarfree lo carb jelly.. I have the Keto Fruit Spread. Strawberry mmmmm.. 2 carbs per tablespoon. Add some really good butter and I am in heaven Keto also makes oatmeal. I have the blueberrries and cream version. Soooo good. I add butter and heavy cream to it and I can't tell the difference from the real stuff. Now I gotta go eat.. made myself hungry
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 14:00
Registered Member

Stats: 311/291/160
BF:
Progress: 13%
Wink

I have found that if I go off of the program it will kick me out of ketosis...and then it can take up to three days to really get back to the level of ketosis that I like to be in.

Just an FYI....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:19

Plan: atkins since 1-21-03
Stats: 210/155/125 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 65%

i eat the atkins bread (3 net carbs) and put on cream cheese and "Simply Fruit" spread (10 carbs per tablespoon). of course i dont eat a whole tablespoon and i make sure i am still not over my 20 carbs per day. i just cut down on other carbs that day. but it is nice to have that sweet n fruity taste once in a while.

and anyone who needs help drinking water you have try
Fruit2o it is really good.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 10:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Has anyone found a sugar free jam that actually tastes as good as regular? Before I started Atkins, I tried some low sugar jams, such as 50/50 and Smuckers Low Sugar, but they were incredibly bland and I wound up throwing them out. Now there are some sugar free brands on the market, and I'd love to be able to add a Tbs to yogurt now and then, but they better taste pretty d*mn good if I'm going to eat that many carbs.

Sidebar - has anyone else noticed how many more low carb products have come on the market in the past few months? Two months ago I had a hard time finding any low carb products unless I went to the health food store that has an Atkins Nutrional Center. Now I'm finding new LC stuff every week, and it's not just because I'm looking for it. Unfortunately, a lot of the sugar free stuff is low fat as well, so it's not truly low carb, just lower, but it's a step in the right direction.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 11:18

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

As to sugarfree jam, I really like Sorbee Strawberry Spread. I can find it at my local grocery store. It lists 6g of carbs a tablespoon, but five of them come from Sorbitol (sugar alcohol). It's very good with natural peanut butter on an LC tortilla.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 11:50

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I make my own sugar free jam (or jelly to you Americans). I use 50 % friut and 50 % sorbitol by weight and make it like normal jam - it tastes fantastic - but too much and you're running to the loo.

Robert
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 13:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

Skamito - thanks! Might have known you'd be the one to answer my question. Your suggestion sounds yum - can't wait to try it.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 14:58

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

P.S. They also make Sorbee spread in Raspberry, Grape, and Orange Marmalade, but I haven't tried those yet.

Sorbee brand sounds much like Robert's homemade... I believe the ingredients are strawberries, sorbitol, pectin, locust bean gum, and sucralose (Splenda brand).

Here's a link to their site: Sorbee Spreads