Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 16:12

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default just started

I am just starting Atkins today-can I have the pork rins during the first two weeks? Any other great food advice? Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 17:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hmm, well I never bothered until much later. So I guess I'm not much help...LOL I stuck very closely to what the induction told me to do, as time went on, then I started looking for snacks etc.

I like to keep to 20 carbs a day, so I guess if you count and don't go over you should be fine.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 23:38

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default Hi, Tonja, welcome to the forum!

Pork rinds are zero carbs, unless they are BBQ or some other flavour, in which case add a bit for the spices. You can have them on Induction, but count the carbs if they're spiced. For many, they're an acquired taste; I didn't like them at first, now I do, especially dipped in a bit of mustard. Karen says they are good with vinegar, too, though I haven't tried it.

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-04-01, 06:55

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

To be honest and of course in my own opinion......Follow the induction to a T.

It is there for a reason, to detox your system. It is to break you of old habits, clean your system out, and get you ready for the rest of your life.

It's only 2 weeks, just a mere 14 days. Follow it and you won't be sorry. But start saying "well just this once" or "I know this isn't part of the diet but it shouldn't hurt" is only setting your mental state up to cheat, and fail.

Atkin's is a VERY strict low carb diet. And he is very correct when he says "just this once will kill you on this diet".

Follow the induction all the way You can do it and will feel so proud of yourself for not snacking on something that wasn't listed. I started April 23 of this year and if food wasn't listed on the 3 or 4 pages for induction I didn't budge. After those two weeks were up I started looking at all the stuff I could have and I have yet to get tired of the menu.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 09:28

Plan:
BF:
Progress:
Default Feeling run down

Thank you for all the great advice regarding the pork rinds and the induction diet! I must say however, this is my third day and I do feel somewhat weak- has anyone else had the same experience? If so, how long does it last? Tonja
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 09:38

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You will feel muscle fatigue and weak if you aren't eating enough. On the first two weeks don't worry about how many calories you are consuming. Just watch the carb intake.
I found myself ready to fall flat on my face within 3 or 4 days of starting the diet. Now I have a ton of energy.

Make sure you are drinking lots of water and taking some type of multi vitamin/mineral supplement as well. Potasium/mag especially for muscle cramps and fatigue.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-01, 10:32

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome tonja! the weakness that you're feeling is very common during the first few days of induction. it will go away. you're body is being detoxed of its carb stores. it's perfectly normal to feel this way. do make sure though, that you take your supplements. a good multi, postassium(i use 1/2 salt for potassium), calcium and magnesium. the cal/mag supplement really helped me w/my nightly leg cramps. hope you're feeling well soon. you'll find a renewed vigor soon!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-01, 14:03

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Debbie-thanks for the advice. You look great in your picture, how much have you lost? Any other great advice?Tonja