Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 06:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%
Default Should I be taking a carb blocker???

Or any dietary aid?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 07:03
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'd say no, at least until the science of "carb blocking" is well-established. The best carb-blocker is a brain that can read labels.

Most diet drugs contain stimulants which are contrary to the Rules of Induction because they can destabilize blood sugar.

A good multivitamin (w/ no iron) is a good idea, and some dietary supplements (calcium, leutein, potassium) seem to help some folks.

Edited to add: my calico siamese cat was on my lap demanding attention while I typed that; I think she's jealous, Katgurl.

Last edited by gotbeer : Thu, Apr-24-03 at 07:05.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 07:05
Registered Member

Stats: 196/175/150 Female 67 inches
BF:30
Progress: 46%

I have a bottle of carb-blocker at home and have taken it when I know I'm gonna eat too many carbs..... such as before a holiday dinner.

And truthfully, I don't think it does anything. Stick to the plan and it will pay off.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 07:08

Stats: 158/153/130 Female 5'7"
BF:Under Construction
Progress: 18%

gotbeer: hahaha...so cute!
i have siamese cats, too! they are so demanding and vocal....i love them so much
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 07:15

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

I agree with gotbeer. I don't like adding chemicals to my body (cold medicine and fever reducer excepted). Another comment is if you are doing Atkins which is already low-carb, why would you need a carb blocker? Cardeda has a point in having a bottle around for if you eat a tremendous amount of carbs at a holiday dinner. But I wouldn't get in the habit of relying on the carb blocker regularly for cheats (not that you would).
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 10:03

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

There are lots of good supplements out there, but a carb blocker isn't 1 of them. Carb blockers, fat blockers, etc... don't just block the absorption of what you don't want. They block certain vitamins, mineral, & nutrients you need too. Also they don't necessarily block what they claim to begin with. If you follow the prescibed plan there is no need for such a drug. Supplements which are good & can be helpful include: a good multi-vitamin, a calcium magnesium supplement (diets high in calcium aid weight loss, plus help prevent osteoporosis), green tea extract (antioxidant, energy boost, weight loss aid), Co-Enzyme Q10 (promotes heart health, aids the body in burning fat), chromium, etc.. If you have a copy of Atkin's New Diet Revolution, check out the chapter on nutritional supplements Chapter 23 starts on page 301. Good luck.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 11:15

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 360/340/150
BF:66%/60%/27%
Progress: 10%
Carb blockers and fat blockers are a waste of your money. The carb blockers don't block anything, maybe some vitamins. The fat blockers are a joke, except the one your dr. can prescribe, Xenecal, it does work, but who needs to block fat on Atkins!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 14:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Another note on those carb blockers. They will only block a certain amount of complex carbs and they do not block sugar at all. So don't think you can take them and scarf down a couple of candy bars and get away with it diet-wise. It won't work.
In the same line of reasoning from the Karate Kid quote, "Best defense is not be there", the best way to block carbs you don't want is to not put them in your mouth to begin with.