Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 04:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/151/135
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default L'Carnitine and Chromium question.

Hi everybody,

Due to the lack of weight/inch loss I've had on induction I've decided to take L'Carnitine and Chromuim Picolinate as supplements to boost some sort of results.

I'm taking 2 tablets of 200mg Chromium and 3 tablets of 500mg of L'Carntine three times daily, 45 minutes before each meal.

Morning: 200mg Chromium and 500mg L'Carnitine
Afternoon: 200mg Chromium and 500mg L'Carntine
Evening: 500mg L'Carnitine

However, (and this may sound stupid but) can i swallow both the Chomuim and the L'Carnintine tablets together at the same time? They dont need to be separated or anything? They dont counter act each other?

Sorry if this comes across as a dumb question but I figured I'd ask to put my mind at rest. Also are the dosages I'm taking of the two supplements ok???

Thanks you guys.
Liz xx xx xxx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 05:23

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%

Liz,
I'm not a doctor, but I take exactly what you described in your post (the only thing I do differently is I take the 200mg of Chromium 45 minutes before Lunch and Dinnter; you do it before breakfast and lunch) and I haven't had any ill effects at all from taking the Chromium and L-Glutimine together.

I don't remember the page in DANDR, but he says we can take the amounts you specified and can take them together.

Don't know if I helped, but know that I am doing the exact same thing as you and I've been doing it for about a week now. And I've noticed weight loss with it. Again, don't know if it's because of the Chromium and L-Glutimine, but since I don't appear to have any side effects from taking them together, I'm going to continue.

Again, hope I helped

#3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 06:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/151/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks for your response Jo. I'm glad to hear that you are experiencing weight loss.Congratulations!! I WISH I WAS!!!! What are the benefits of taking L'Glutimine??. I'm taking L'Carnitine with my chromium you see.
Also, how many calories are you consumming daily? Could you tell me breifly one days menu please? Also, are you exercising?

thanks Jo
Liz xxx
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 07:15

Thanks Liz,

I'm taking 200mg of Chromium before Lunch and Dinner. I'm taking 500mg of L-Carnitine before Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. And I'm taking 500mg L-Glutimine before Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

Regarding L-Glutimine, according to Dr. Atkins in the DANDR book, on page 136, L-Glutimine, if taken before each meal can help curb sugar cravings. Definitely helps me not want to snack. I do my 3 meals a day and it works for me.

Take a look at my fitday journal (below) to get an idea of what I'm eating. I haven't posted todays menu, so click on yesterday's (4/22). I try to get between 1200 and 1400 a day. Lower on days I don't exercise and higher on days that I do. I haven't started BFL yet, and when I do, I'll up my calories to 1800 per day. But I do walk my daughters in the double stroller and that is a workout in itself

Hope i answered all your questions and helped
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 07:52

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Check your Chromium

I may be wrong but the chromium dose should not exceed 200 mcg / day. Check that out.

Mary
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 18:56

According to Atkins book, Chromium can go up to 800mg in a day. So I get 300mg from the Basic #3 and I take 2 tablets at 200mg each. I can't recall the page Atkins said it on, but I'll look it up tonight and post it tomorrow
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 08:48

Found it!

On Pg. 307 of the DANDR book, Atkins states the following for the basic supplements during weight loss phase (and if desired in Lifetime Maintenance) consists of:

- Basic #3 Formula - 3 times a day

- Chromium - up to 1,000 mcg daily, but be sure to count the amount of chromium contained in your dosage of the Basic #3 Formula

- Essential oils - three a day, either in a multiple, or individual fish oil, borage oil and flaxseed oil capsules.

L- Carnitine and CoQ10 - if you feel that your metabolic resistance to weight loss is high.
Dosage for C0Q10 is 100mg per day.
L-Carnatine dosage for weight loss, typically is 1,500mg.

So, I'm actually taking fewer Chromium than he suggests

Hope you find this helpful
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 09:20

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Cool Just watch out!

I just recently saw a report of a potential problem with Chromium Picolinate - may or may not be a problem until more studies or done but be careful with high doses. Here is a statement about the problem I found searching on Yahoo:

This report was taken from the December issue of the GASEB Journal, a publication of the Federation of American Societies of experimental Biology. It reported that Chromium Picolinate was found to be clastogenic, meaning that it damaged chromosomes, but his finding doesn't necessarily mean that it is carcinogenic, or a definite substance or agent that produces cancer.

The fact that a substance damages chromosomes is considered a good indicator of its carcinogenicity. "This is the first test to directly link carcinogenicity to a form of chromium that is used as a supplement: it predicts, not proves that Chromium Picolinate is a human carcinogen." The research reported that not only did chromium picolinate damage chromosomes, but so too did
picolinic acid when tested alone, although to a lesser extent.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 10:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/168/135
BF:
Progress: 27%

mom2girls~
I looked at your fitday, I noticed you dont hit 20 proteins, is that o.k.? I thought to little could make you stall. I know there are days I have a hard time getting up to 20.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 10:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/168/135
BF:
Progress: 27%

mom2girls~
I looked at your fitday, I noticed you dont hit 20 proteins, is that o.k.? I thought to little could make you stall. I know there are days I have a hard time getting up to 20.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 11:42

Gary,
Thank You for the information!!!!
I'll definitely LOWER my intake

BMS,
You looked at my fitday for this mornings breakfast. I have 20g of protein for breakfast I usually get up to about 60-80 for a day , but thanks for the warning. Take a look at the previous day.