Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 13:29

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Yogurt Study!

Hi, folks,

Here's an article from the UT Knoxville website demonstrating that consumption of yogurt can aid fat loss. Enjoy.

http://pr.tennessee.edu/news/article.asp?id=1717

Yogurt Increases Fat Loss, UT Study Shows

KNOXVILLE -- Adding three daily servings of yogurt to a reduced calorie diet can greatly increase fat loss, a University of Tennessee nutrition professor said Monday.

Dr. Michael Zemel presented findings from a recent study at the Experimental Biology Meeting today in San Diego. Zemel’s research over the past decade has established a clear link between calcium intake and the ability of the body to burn fat. He has documented that increased calcium levels in the diet signal fat cells to stop storing fat and to start burning it.

"When we put people on diets that include three servings of yogurt a day, we’re able to nearly double the amount of fat that’s lost, compared to people on a low-dairy diet," Zemel said.

Zemel and his colleagues at the University of Tennessee studied 34 healthy obese adults who were divided into two groups and placed on 12-week diet plans that provided 500 fewer calories per day than their usual intake.

One group ate 1,100 milligrams of calcium each day, including three servings of light yogurt. The low calcium control group ate only 500 milligrams of calcium per day.

Participants on the increased calcium diet lost 22 percent more weight and 61 percent more body fat than others who merely reduced their caloric intake.

The study was funded by General Mills, and subjects ate the company’s Yoplait Light yogurt.

"We have one more tool to combat the obesity epidemic," Zemel said. "People shoot themselves in the foot by jettisoning dairy when they go on diets. What they need to do is maintain or increase the dairy intake for a host of health-related reasons, and here’s one more: it’s going to help you burn fat."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 15:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/203/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Thumbs down did you run the carb count???

through fitday at all? I don't have any Yoplait on hand anymore to run it - I did get some plain ol' Dannon to play with the SF syrups. Want to increase my good bacteria a bit...

anyone willing to do this through Fitday to see what it comes out?

Jan
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 17:10
Registered Member

Plan: restricted carb Paleo
Stats: 180/124/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 124%

I'd like to see the real study and what the criteria were (was weight loss really due to calcium intake... was any other component of dairy considered... were participants' diets a consideration). The study group was also very small.

It sounds like this doctor has spent ten years trying to prove that dairy/calcium intake spurs weight loss... so why wasn't the study done with three glasses of milk per day

It's because plain or low calorie yogurt is fairly low carb (what I eat is 15 carbs/cup) I bet.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 09:31

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Jan... you may want to check out this thread: Eat that full fat yogurt!