Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 07:58

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 140/123/125 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:?/20%/18%
Progress: 113%
Question Please help me brainstorm...

This is my month to host my book club meeting. It's the responsibility of the host to provide all munchies. I usually have a bit of a cheat when I go to someone elses house, but now that my turn is here, I would like to offer LC treats that everyone will enjoy. All of these ladies have noted my weight loss and I am very aware of how this night might sway some of them to try a LC lifestyle.

Here's where I need help.....

The snacks have to be book club friendly. Sticky chicken wings just won't cut it. I need desserts, too!! I'll do a cheese & veggie tray, but would love some favorite dip recipes. What "hot" items would be good? Other ladies serve mini egg rolls, mini quiches, ect..Any favorite recipes out there you could share?

Much appreciated!!!!

Joy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 08:05

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

I just hosted a gathering and this is what I offered:

Veggie platter with sour cream/chives dip
Pepperoni & cheese platter
ham/cheese, turkey/cheese roll ups
Pork rinds and salsa/sour cream (some were like "ewwwe" until they tasted)
Cream Cheese-cakes (off LC recipe room made in mini-muffin pan topped with raspberries & blueberries)
Salad

Just some suggestions.....
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 08:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

stuffed mushrooms and jalapeno poppers (recpeies posted on this site in recepie section.

Hot Artichoke Dip
Ingredients:
2 jar (6.5 ounces each) marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 garlic clove, pressed
3 ounces fresh Parmesan cheese, grated (about 3/4 cup)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Drain and coarsely chop artichoke hearts. Combine artichoke hearts, spinach, garlic, sour cream, mayonnaise and Parmesan cheese in Bowl.

2. Spoon dip into Deep Dish Plate. Bake 20-25 minutes or until heated through.

Sorry can't remember the carb count for the servings.

Yield: 10-15 appetizer servings
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 08:56

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Hey

There is a no crust quiche recipe on this site that I heard is wonderful. There is also a great recipe for cheese cake ( I hear ), on this site. I have an idea for some candy that just might go over well. I bought some Pure-Delight chocolate bars amd macadamia nuts yesterday. I am going to spread the nuts on a pastry sheet and then lay pieces of the candy on top of the nuts. Then I am going to warm the mixtures unttl the chocolate softens. Then I am going to allow the nuts to cool and bread them apart into smaller pieces. This candy will be very low in carbs. But let the members know that there is maltitol in the candy so that they don't over eat it.

Black57
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 11:15

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

Frozen scallops wrappen in bacon. Yum. Could be expensive tho, if you have a lot of people.I made the Atkins macaroons a couple of days ago - they're pretty good.
Diane
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 11:30

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%

I made easy and very tasty stuffed mushrooms last weekend with the Spinach & Artichoke Heart Spread from Costco. I picked up a one of their large cans of crab meat, mixed that up with the Spinach/Arthichoke spread. I oiled up the mushrooms a bit and broiled the bottoms of them just a touch - until they were golden, then stuffed them with the mixture and baked at 375 for about 20 minutes. They were really good.

Deviled eggs are another great finger food.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 12:13

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%
Default HAM ROLL-UPS

This is a good one that always goes over great for non-LC people~

HAM OR TURKEY ROLL UPS:

3-4oz Cream Cheese
7-8 olives
2T mayo
1T mustard

Put in blender until mixed and olives are cut up. (I usually use my mini electric chopper)
Spread on ham (or turkey) and roll up.
Cover each rolled up piece with foil and refergerate for about 1-2 hours (just so the stuff inside gets kinda firm)
Take out of the foil and slice. Stick a toothpick in each slice and arrange on plate.....these are soooo good!!

Enjoy and hope your meeting is a success!!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 14:07

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Stick toothpicks in greasy foods so your guests won't have to use their fingers.

Put a container of Wet Ones or baby wipes on the serving table for use on fingertips. If you think someone will panic that you may have changed a diaper on the table, decorate the container, or just put the wipes in a basket.

Now there should be no fear of turning pages!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 14:25

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

The recipe for homemade peanut butter cups is awesome! If you have many people coming try making them in a mini-muffin pan, so they are nice & small- bite size. Just in case you don't have the recipe:
1 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 stick butter
melt these in a bowl in the microwave, then add
1/3 c splenda
1/4 c unsweetened (natural) peanut butter
1 tbsp heavy cream
stir until well mixed, then divide evenly into lined muffin tins & freeze, remove just before serving
makes 6 big cups ~ 3g carbs, but if put into mini muffin tin would make more with less carbs per serving
You could also make the Atkins Brownies from the mix, or some of the muffins.
Have fun & be creative!
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 14:52

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I had a get together here at work and I brought deviled eggs made with real mayo, season to taste, with a little finely chopped celery. Sprinkled the tops with a little paprika for color.

These were a big hit and no one even realized these were LC treats!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 08:00

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 140/123/125 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:?/20%/18%
Progress: 113%
Default Thank-you, Thank-you!

I really appreciate all your idea's!!

I'm going shopping tomorrow and will definitley have some of these idea's on my table come Thursday night!

Helpful here as always!

Joy
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 10:08
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

This recipe is one of the easiest things I ever made, and it was sooooo good! I served it as an appetizer last time I had guest over, and made them a real gourmet meal. But this simple appetizer was one of the favorites, guests left with the recipe in hand!

Zucchini Puffs - seves 8

4 medium zucchini
1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese grated
1 dash hot pepper sauce
4 tbsp mayonnaise

Halve zucchini and scoop out a little of the center. Combine cheese, mayonaise and hot pepper sauce. Spread on top of zucchini. Broil until puffed. Cut into small serving pieces.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 13:33
Registered Member

Stats: 183/178/140
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Recipes

If you have a little bit of time to surf, check out www.epicurious.com. It is a great recipe site with reviews from people who have used the recipes. It does not offer a LC search option but I have found plenty of recipes that are LC friendly.

Sates are making a popular comeback at a lot of restaurants. Go with a chicken, beef, or shirmp sates with a peanut sauce. As they are serves on bamboo skewers they will look attractive and also they will be easy to eat without making a mess.

In the end, the tired and true dished like veggie trays are always hits. Be a little creative on the presentation and that will make a lasting impression on people.

How about mini meatballs with plenty of toothpicks near by?

#14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 20:33

Stats: 230/188/175 Female 65 inches
BF:48/idk/25
Progress: 76%

mmmm-all these treats sound so good. How about pinwheels made by taking a LC tortilla, spreading it with colorful combinations (e.g., cream cheese, finely chopped green onion, paprika, avocado, etc.) and sliced to form pinwheel spiral shapes?

How about a hot sausage and cheese dip for veggies? I brown sausage and green onions, then add cheddar or American cheese, then add some hot sauce for zip. Always a crowd pleaser.

How about mini flax muffins topped with icing made from melted bittersweet chocolate and LC syrup of your choice?

It's all good.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 00:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/168/160 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 80%

those zucchini puffs sound great. How about some cut up veggies and a ranch dip. That always seems to be popular.