Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 15:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%
Default Help needed please

Need some help here please. My daughter decided to try the Atkins diet after she saw how well I was doing on it. She has tried twice, and both times has started vomiting (sorry, hope you're not eating your breakfast!!) by Day 2. Is there any reason for this? She was following exactly what I did on Induction.
Thanks...Pam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 15:58

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi Pamlyn,
I can't say for sure, but when i started induction, i felt very sick for the first 3 days (tapered off on the 4th day). Migraines, felt like i was going to throw up several times... i think it was because of the amount of carbs/sugar i used to eat - and my body flushing them all from my system, while having a lot of fatty foods in it just made me feel yucky. After a couple of days though, i felt much better - i know several people who felt quite sick the first couple days (one friend did throw up). It might just be her body readjusting. I would see if she could stick with it for one or two more days, and see if it subsides? I know that is hard to do, to eat when you feel yucky, but it would probably be worth it to her in the end?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 16:06
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Perhaps your daughter needs to cut down more gradually on carbs. For most people, induction gives them a good jump start, but some people can't do it. I, personally, was not able to go straight into induction. I gradually cut back on carbs -- first cutting out everything white (sugar, flour, rice, potatoes), and then slowly cutting back on whole grains and fruit. That seemed to work better with my body. Some people cannot start gradually, because it triggers cravings in them, but the gradual method worked better for me and perhaps it is what you daughter needs.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 17:12

Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%

Thanks for the advice. Have emailed her this page, hopefully it will help.
Cheers...Pam
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 20:37

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I was only able to complete Induction on my 3rd try. I got sick and nauseated by day 2 as well. I think the reason it worked the 3rd time was because I tapered off on my carbs & sweets a few days prior to Induction. I still had a horrible headache for about 24 hours on day 2, but the nausea wasn't there this time.

Any sudden and drastic diet change can make you sick. Diarhhea and other GI upsets are common during emergency situations such as floods, hurricanes, etc. where people are forced to evacuate and have to eat in soup kitchen settings.

But I wouldn't want to do anything that makes me throw up. That's why I don't ride roller coasters more than 2 times in a row!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-03, 11:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%

I was pretty nauseous the first week or so, but not to the point of throwing up. I also cut out starch and sugar without actually doing induction for a week beforehand, just to make sure I could do so without craving, so maybe that helped. I think too much protein when you're not used to it can be hard on the stomach.