Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 247/221/130
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default what should I be doing

What type of exercise should I be doing? How many times a week? thanks for all your help and support.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 12:18
The evolution of me

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi Betsy...

I think the key is doing what you enjoy so that you will continue. You see it isn't which exercise you do... it is that you exercise consistantly that makes the greatest differences in your body.

All the best to you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 16:54
Registered Member

Stats: 276.2/276.2/140 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi!

I am not going to recommend anything, as I am fairly new at this as well.

I can tell you my experience: I like to focus 100% on the eating at first. Once I feel like the eating plan is a natural behavior for me, I introduce another behavior. I started walking everywhere.... parking farther away, walking stairs more often, walking in airports instead of riding the moving sidewalks, walking to the post office and other places around town. Then, I introduced the stationary bike so I could get some more challenging cardio excercize. I now do 30 to 40 minutes on the bike 3 times a week. I started slow with that however, so I didn't kill myself and get all sore. It is working for me..... the important thing is to not over do it.... I just take it as some special time to myself and I do a lot of different things with it.

It is almost gardening season where I live and I am about to get into that for some excercize as well.

Good Thoughts - the important thing is to do something and think of it as a treat for yourself!

Lori
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:29

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Walking is an excellent form of exercise--I walk 2.5+ miles per day and feel great.

Add walking in and then move on to whatever strikes your fancy. As you get further into LCing, you'll find you have so much more energy that you'll be adding in all sorts of extra movement.

Good luck!

Donald
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:43

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 325/287/150
BF:
Progress: 22%

The best exercise for you is the one you love doing. At some point, you may wish to add light weight training to your routine -- not to build "bulging pectorals" (you have to do some serious weights to look like Ahhhhhhnold!), but to build muscle and help burn fat.

In the beginning, though, find something you love to do, and do it with all your heart. I like to toss some CD's into the stereo, and dance while I'm sorting laundry.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 18:17

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

I have been going to Curves-an all women's gym that caters to larger and older women. They are a franchise and available in many areas. Let me know if you have questions.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 16:43

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%

I have a busy job - freelance translator - so I don't really have much time to go out and do extra exercise. I love walking though and most days I walk around our own field with the dogs, not very far, but quite steep here and there <g>. I also try and take the dogs out for a walk further in other fields or a forest, at least three times a week; I am trying to build in half an hour of gardening each day, as long as it doesn't rain!
I went to yoga a few months ago, had signed up for 12 times, but only made it about 6. I did love it, though, and was sorry that I couldn't make it all the time.
I will try and do some of the exercises at home more often!
Willeke
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 10:16

Plan: DR. ATKINS
Stats: 267.2/216.0/150
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi Betsy

I agree walking is one of the best ways to excercise as it is low impact. I go every night and just take my discman with me. Even when I feel too tired to go, I force myself, and I always feel much better when I get home. The fresh air is great and always something interesting to look at.

I also started the 20 min windsor pilates tape. It is supposed to be excellent for toning etc. Yesterday was my first try, and I thought I would DIE....but it was a good work out and i really felt better when I was finished. My son Mark (19) was home then and encouraging me to keep at it but only do as much as I could comfortably. When I finished he got on the floor and did it himself. He has now committed to doing it 3 days a week!

Good luck
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 10:43

Stats: 380/326.4/200 Female 62 iinches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default curves

How difficult is the workout at curves. Since I am really large I probably could not do everything. Do you have to do exactly what they instruct or can it be modified for each individual?