Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 15:44

Plan: General Low-Carb
Stats: 225/181/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Purchasing Splenda

Hi all,

I'm gearing up for a low-carb baking project in a couple of weeks (more info in the sweet treats forum) and figure I should stock up on Splenda anyway.

Is this stuff ever available in the stores? I live in Manhattan, so does anyone know of any chains in the Manhattan area that would carry it? I looked at my Mega Gristedes today and couldn't find it. I also haven't seen it with the other low-carb products at GNC and the Vitamin Shoppe.

I did find the Splenda website. If most people order it online, how long does it take to arrive? I'm hoping to bake with it on May 3.

Thanks in advance!

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:11

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Kareny, if you are near an A&P (I remember one at 14th Street), it should carry Splenda right next to the sugar and flour (how ironic is that?). Aren't Waldbaum's or the Food Emporium affiliated with A&P? My A&P out here in NJ has it. I first ordered it online, not thinking the A&P, of all places, would have it. Next time I get it, I'm not ordering online. Also, if you have friends that make the foray into suburbia to go to a warehouse store, my BJ's carries a box of 700 Splenda packets for some ridiculously low price, don't know if Costco has it. Good luck with your LC baking!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:22

BF:

Believe it or not, A&P doesn't seem to have any stores in Manhattan! I checked online (if anyone's wondering, the site is http://www.apsupermarket.com ).

Food Emporium is a possibility. I can get to those pretty easily. I'll check there, and also maybe the Associated market up by my job. I guess D'Agostino is another option. It's good to at least know that some chains do carry it.

You'd think it'd be marketed in Manhattan - this place is such a hotbed of low-carb. Half the people I know are doing it now.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Kareny : Mon, Apr-14-03 at 16:23.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:

I don't know what the situation is like where you are, but every Winn-Dixie and Publix I've ever been in carries Splenda. I believe Eckerds, Albertsons, and possibly Wal-Mart may also carry it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 16:32

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:

Wow, I didn't know that about A&P. Probably the last time I went to the store that was at 14th Street was in 1997 or 1998! Sorry.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 17:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

Pretty much every supermarket I've been to in either Seattle (where I used to live) and Southern California (where I live now) has Splenda. I've never been to NYC so I'm not sure what the stores are like there. Seems to be pretty common elsewhere though. I've even seen it in stores like Walmart and Target.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 18:18

BF:

Believe it or not, I don't think we have those chains in Manhattan (I know, can you believe we don't have a Wal-Mart?) And seeing as how I'm dependent on public transportation, I'm kind of limited to this island. Getting to the boroughs even is a bit of a trek.

But you all have given me renewed confidence! At least I know it's possible to find this stuff on the shelf. I'll probably start looking in earnest on Thursday when my vacation starts, and I'll let you know the results.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 06:56

BF:

Update: My Spring Break starts today! I'm going to start this week looking in earnest.

I looked at Whole Foods last night, since I happened to be in the neighborhood. You'd think, with their focus on organic and healthy foods, they'd be a great source of substitutes, right? WRONG. They had rice alternatives, and soy alternatives, and whole wheat alternatives for baking, but nothing whatsoever low-carb. I checked their drugstore as well, and they had plenty of Slim-Fast products, but nothing Atkins! Apparently Whole Foods does not support low-carbing.

Grrr. Well, this week I'll start checking the other grocery stores, and I'll report back.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 18:59

BF:

Found it!

At the Food Emporium, as suggested. I bought four boxes of the loose stuff, and a box of packets. I have some things I want to experiment with the packets (i.e. Total yogurt), and the loose stuff I need for my pies and the unsweetened chocolate I bought on Karen's advice from the cooking forum.

So there you go, New Yorkers, check the Food Emporium if you're wondering! They also have Atkins products - I bought an Atkins bake mix.